Question about LCD monitors

Old July 10th 03, 03:54 AM
Joseph

Default Question about LCD monitors

Hello,

I am looking to purchase an LCD monitor. However, I am not too familiar
with the technology. Is there a particular brand that is better than the
others,
or are they all pretty much the same. Any suggestions or tips on how to
select
an LCD would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Joseph

Old July 10th 03, 06:33 AM
rcm

I find the picture is not as sharp. Motion is blurred if fast enough.
Older LCDs had this problem, newer ones are better. I was at Future Shop
where they had all the monitors and LCDs on a splitter displaying the same
thing. It was an Aquarium screensaver with fish swimming. The fish twist
and turn. The motion on a regular monitor 15, 17, 19 was fluid and crisp.
On the LCDs, it was not fluid, not crisp. Still pictures are fine.

The other point is you have to run it all the manufacturers default
resolution for the size. Let say it is 1024x768 for a 15", if you want to
run it at 800x600 to have bigger picture, it will interpolate the pixels.
It is horrible. I have an old retired 72 year old who bought an NEC 15"
LCD, beautiful picture but he has to run it at 800x600 because his vision is
poor even with glasses and I find it terrible. In default 1024x768 it is
crisp. I haven't the heart to tell him how blurry the picture is at
800x600, his eyes don't see it so I let it go. After that, I read up on
LCDs in reviews and found out some of the common complaints like I
mentioned. But this old fellow was determined to get one and went out and
bought it.

I wanted to buy one but I am now hesitating. I don't game so the motion
problem should not affect me. My eyes are good (49 years old but they are
getting weaker), I am running a 1024x768 17" (15.8" viewable) Compaq tube
monitor and the picture is crisp still in the corners for a 7 year old
monitor. I would get a 17" LCD running at 1280x1024 if I did. I think I am
a good candidate for an LCD since these problems don't affect me.

Supposedly there is dead pixel problem. I had a 486 laptop with a dead
pixel in the top right, very annoying. I wonder about that on LCD panels.
Supposedly you have to get many dead ones before you can warrantee it.

I wait for other responses on these points I made as well as others I don't
know about. I am curious.

.. .

Old July 10th 03, 09:18 PM
Joseph

Thanks everyone for your responses - it's been a great help. At least now
I have an idea about the features I should look for.

Thanks again
Joseph

.. .