Does two Sound Cards lead to trouble?

Old February 2nd 04, 05:47 PM
Eternally

Default Does two Sound Cards lead to trouble?

Hey folks,

Just building a new PC here. My motherboard has a built-in sound card
that's actually decent.

I also have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum with the Live Drive which has
some ports I'd like access to that the motherboard's sound card doesn't
have.

I would just use the SoundBlaster instead, but my case has built in front
panel audio connectors, and the sound blaster doesn't have the connection to
enable it, but the motherboard sound card does.

So, I've got a use for both sound cards and would like to keep them both
enabled. Is this a bad idea? Does it just lead to trouble? Or, is it a
smooth sailing process.

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+
Mobo: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
Chipset: NForce 2 Ultra 400
OS: Windows XP Pro

Thanks!

Old February 3rd 04, 12:10 AM
DaveW

To the best of my knowledge you will get a conflict if you try to use
onboard sound AND a soundcard.

--
DaveW

Old February 3rd 04, 12:20 AM
Will Dormann

DaveW wrote:
To the best of my knowledge you will get a conflict if you try to use
onboard sound AND a soundcard.

I doubt that. I used to run two soundcards simultaneously with no
problems. I'd say just make sure that legacy SB emulation is disabled
in one of them, if it's present in both. (To prevent resource conflicts)

-WD

Old February 3rd 04, 02:40 AM
zalzon

I remember (and this was some time ago) that some games could use 2
Sound Blaster cards. One would serve as the primary sound card and
the other would be the secondary.

I think it may be possible though I'm not sure. If you try to have
two different applications access the same sound card, it will not
work. But if you have an application try to access two sound
cards..... I don't know.

Stand well back when you try this and be prepared to dive for cover.

Old February 3rd 04, 11:31 AM
scott

Eternally wrote:
Hey folks,

Just building a new PC here. My motherboard has a built-in sound card
that's actually decent.

I also have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum with the Live Drive
which has some ports I'd like access to that the motherboard's sound
card doesn't have.

I would just use the SoundBlaster instead, but my case has built in
front panel audio connectors, and the sound blaster doesn't have the
connection to enable it, but the motherboard sound card does.

So, I've got a use for both sound cards and would like to keep them
both enabled. Is this a bad idea? Does it just lead to trouble?
Or, is it a smooth sailing process.

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+
Mobo: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
Chipset: NForce 2 Ultra 400
OS: Windows XP Pro

Thanks!

I run two soundcards no problem on XP pro, a SoundBlaster Live and a MidiMan
DiO 2496. I can choose to use either one in Windows, from Control Panel -
Sounds, and most programs let you choose one too and if not they use the
Windows default. I have windows set to use my SB Live card, and programs
like WinAmp and CoolEdit to use my DiO (superior sound quality). I really
only have the SB Live card for surround sound and the joystick/midi port!

Old February 3rd 04, 02:47 PM
JT

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:47:54 GMT, "Eternally" wrote:

[...]

One of my customers is a professional DJ that has one of the small Cube
type systems with an extra SB Live in it. Takes it with him to his
engagements, his music is on the internal 120gb drive. Uses both sound
cards in the system when he is there. One sound card plays the current
music selection live, other reviews queuedd up songs and selections. Works
great.

JT

JT