AM2+ support on ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe (AM2)

Old April 9th 08, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bret

Default AM2+ support on ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe (AM2)

Hello,

I ran into a post already that said some AM2 boards made before the
oncoming of AM2+ sockets require BIOS updates before the board will
post with an AM2+ chip in them. So although the AM2+ phenom chip is
compatible, there will be no POST beeps unless the BIOS is first
updated.

Before I RMA my new phenom, can anyone confirm or deny this happening
on an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Vista Edition motherboard? The board was
purchased late August 2007.

Thanks a ton,
Bret
Old April 9th 08, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Bret wrote:
Hello,

I ran into a post already that said some AM2 boards made before the
oncoming of AM2+ sockets require BIOS updates before the board will
post with an AM2+ chip in them. So although the AM2+ phenom chip is
compatible, there will be no POST beeps unless the BIOS is first
updated.

Before I RMA my new phenom, can anyone confirm or deny this happening
on an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Vista Edition motherboard? The board was
purchased late August 2007.

Thanks a ton,
Bret

Judging by the November release of Phenom support, an August board probably
has a BIOS release before the ones shown.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...2-SLI%20Deluxe

M2N32-SLI Deluxe

Phenom 8400 (HD8400WCJ3BGD),2.1GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Tripl e-Core ALL 1802 2008/03/06
Phenom 8600 (HD8600WCJ3BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Tripl e-Core ALL 1802
Phenom 9100e (HD910OBJ4BGD),1.8GHz,65W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1802
Phenom 9500 (HD9500WCJ4BGD),2.2GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1503 2007/11/19
Phenom 9600 (HD9600WCJ4BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1503

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...ISTA%20Edition

M2N32-SLI Premium VISTA Edition

Phenom 8400 (HD8400WCJ3BGD),2.1GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Tripl e-Core ALL 1101 2008/03/27
Phenom 8600 (HD8600WCJ3BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Tripl e-Core ALL 1101
Phenom 9100e (HD910OBJ4BGD),1.8GHz,65W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1101
Phenom 9500 (HD9500WCJ4BGD),2.2GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 0702 2007/11/20
Phenom 9600 (HD9600WCJ4BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 0702

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

Sometimes there is an adhesive label on the flash chip, and the BIOS release
number may be printed on it. The idea is, Asus may program the chips in
advance at the factory, and then plug them in after the solder and wash
are finished. If you haven't flash upgraded the BIOS since getting it,
then the BIOS version would still match the number on the label.

There is no way to guarantee the response of a BIOS, when the BIOS revision is
not sufficient to support the processor. In some cases, people manage to hobble
along with one stick of RAM. In other cases, "she's dead Scotty" is the
response, with no beep or anything.

To make the speaker beep an error code, actually takes a fair amount
of working hardware and programming. The speaker may be controlled by
the SuperI/O, and the Northbridge, Southbridge, and SuperI/O would
have to be working to get a beep out of it.

You can check the Asus forums, of which there should be one forum per
motherboard model name. There is too much stuff here for me to read.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

Some very recent experiences here with 9850. Worked, even though not in
the CPU Support list.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...age=2&count=25

As for power issues, if the CPU Support page lists 6000+ or 6400+ (125W processors)
as compatible, then power should not be a problem. It is the boards that don't list
*any* 125W processors, where you'd expect a problem with 125W processors, or
with overclocking lower power processors to a 125W power dissipation level.
So far, the list of boards affected by power issues, should be a short list.
We're hoping it doesn't become a "new trend".

Counting Vcore power phases, while it is reassuring, doesn't guarantee a thing.
A board with 8 phases, versus one with 3 phases, does not guarantee 8/3 times
as much power. The 8 phase coils are usually smaller ones, as are the MOSFETs.
So no linear extrapolation of power level is possible by just counting phases.

It is too bad, stating the design power limit of the Vcore, is not a legal
requirement :-) The guy designing the circuit, certainly knows what that
number is.

I think there *are* technical solutions to the "new processor" "old BIOS"
problem, but so far, no motherboard manufacturer seems interested in
addressing this issue. They're more interested in adding glowing LEDs
to the motherboard, or putting a chrome bumper with the company name
on it, on the heatsink.

Paul