How to overclock and other questions?

Old March 2nd 04, 01:07 AM
FeMaster

Default How to overclock and other questions?

I've done overclocking on my old 900MHz Slot A CPU, but that was easy; it
had a GFD. I'm a little confused on the manual overclocking using the FSB,
and what not. Is there a sight that goes through the steps of how to
calculate what settings to use, etc. to accomplish the desired overclocking?
I have played around with the setting a little bit, but could only seem to
UNDERclock my CPU...??

Currently setup:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333FSB
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe MoBo (Version 2.0)
1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Crucial DDR RAM

Among other things...

Any advice to even know if I can overclock this? I've heard that after a
certain date, all CPUs are "locked". I know for a fact that mine was
manufactured AFTER the date that has been thrown around. Is there some
other way to overclock when the CPU is "locked"?

Newbie looking for some help and information...
Thanks!

Old March 2nd 04, 05:40 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

"locked" means that you cannot change the multiplier. So, you have to up the
front side bus.

That is the only way you will be able to OC your proc.

NuTs

Old March 2nd 04, 02:04 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

Thanks for the info. If I remember correctly, I tried that, but the system
would not boot... Perhaps I would need to up the voltage in connection with
going from 333FSB up to 400FSB??

In any case, I would still be interested in a site that explains this a
little better. I would also like to know if there is a way that I can test
or check to see if my CPU truly is "locked". I'm guessing that by gaining
the knowledge of what exactly to do to accomplish the overclocking, I will
be able to find out if it's locked or not...

Old March 6th 04, 07:01 PM
NuT CrAcKeR

I wouldnt suggest making a jump from 166 to 200 on the FSB all at once...

baby steps, my friend.. slow and easy.

Its likely that you need to up the Vcore, and many overclockers lower the
multiplier at the same time (but, you cant do that because your chip is
locked).

You also have to be mindful of your memory timings, and bus ratios....

NuTs

"PowerHouse CB & Scanner" wrote in
message ...

Old March 7th 04, 06:52 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

If I remember correctly, there was no way to take small steps from within
the BIOS on my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe board. I'm pretty sure that it only let
me select between proper settings like 166 and 200, and that there was no
"fine tuning" adjustment. I'll have to check this out again when I have
more time. Hopefully this will work out OK for me...

On another question, what is up with this mobile CPU kick? Would a Mobile
AMD fit right into my Mobo, or is there some sort of adapter available that
would be needed? I've never seen a mobile version of an AMD CPU, so I guess
I'm a little clueless here. Are mobile CPUs still unlocked? I may just
have to buy a new processor again.

Thanks again for the replies...

Old March 14th 04, 01:52 AM
villin

have you tried increasing/decreasing voltage supply to cpu via the
bios settings, i tried this & was able to increase/decrease cpu
frequancy.
asus probe will show the changes (if any) that have been made.
Villin 8)