memtest86 memtest86+ memtest86++

Old September 16th 06, 12:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

Default memtest86 memtest86+ memtest86++

I'm testing old ram on a new motherboard (new chipset: nforce4-sli).
Started out with my old, old copy of memtest86.

Was having problems just with test 5 (infamous block moves).

Thought I'd update my memtest86 program and found several different
memtest programs out there.

Downloaded memtest86+ which seems to be the most up to date (I
couldn't find 86++ anywhere, is it just a typo ?) and my memory
passes with it. (so far...

Wondering if the old memtest86 was just out of date or if there is a
real problem with my system. Original memtest author seems to think
it's a big deal (test 5 errors), but he appears to have stopped
developing his program a long time ago.

Old September 16th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:01:41 -0400, Bill wrote:

I had problems with my OCZ memory until I discovered they like to be run
above default voltage settings.

So when you go to the store, do you buy your meat by the pound and use the
gold standard pound? I kind of doubt it. Why would you put up with what
OCZ did to you? They warranteed it to work at certain specs and it
doesn't. I'd send the crap back. But thanks, I'll be sure and never buy
OCZ ram.

Old September 17th 06, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

wrote:

I'm testing old ram on a new motherboard (new chipset: nforce4-sli).
Started out with my old, old copy of memtest86.

Was having problems just with test 5 (infamous block moves).

If you're getting memory errors, check the voltage ratings for your old
memory (vdimm). It may need a slight boost.

I had problems with my OCZ memory until I discovered they like to be run
above default voltage settings.

You can also use Prime95 to test stability of your CPU and memory.

I downloaded the last version of memtest86 ver 3.2 and tried that
after the memtest86+ worked.

ver 3.2 ran without errors for 14 hours at cas 3 and 2.7 volts.

dropping the voltage to 2.6 volts, got immediate test 5 errors.

I put it back to 2.7 volts and have been running just test 5 for an
hour and a half now with no errors.

Will probably run it at 2.8 volts to give it a bit of headroom.

Bottom line, update your old memtest86 CD's if you're upgrading your
motherboard

Old September 17th 06, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
DRS

wrote in message

[...]

I put it back to 2.7 volts and have been running just test 5 for an
hour and a half now with no errors.

Will probably run it at 2.8 volts to give it a bit of headroom.

Don't. The rule with RAM is to give it just as much voltage as it needs to
run stably and no more. It's too easy to fry.

Old September 17th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:35:15 +1000, "DRS"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I put it back to 2.7 volts and have been running just test 5 for an
hour and a half now with no errors.

Will probably run it at 2.8 volts to give it a bit of headroom.

Don't. The rule with RAM is to give it just as much voltage as it needs to
run stably and no more. It's too easy to fry.

It's Mushkin. It "should" handle 2.8v.

However, you have a good point. This ram ran fine in an old VIA
chipset motherboard at 2.5 volts, 1T command rate, even though it
was likely designed for P4 motherboards.

I may put it back in the VIA, or just throw in the towel and run
512M, or buy a Gig stick if I find a good deal.

These guys seem a little too fussy in this motherboard. I played
around with the positions, and they work fine one way, but fails
test 5 when I swap the sticks around.

Old September 18th 06, 10:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
DRS

"Bill" wrote in message

DRS wrote:

I put it back to 2.7 volts and have been running just test 5 for an
hour and a half now with no errors.

Will probably run it at 2.8 volts to give it a bit of headroom.

Don't. The rule with RAM is to give it just as much voltage as it
needs to run stably and no more. It's too easy to fry.

Don't be silly. If the chips can handle 3.0v it won't hurt to run them
at 2.8v.

I wasn't being silly. The OP didn't specify the RAM's type and most DDR
doesn't like 2.8v.

Old September 24th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:32:29 +1000, "DRS"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
DRS wrote:

I put it back to 2.7 volts and have been running just test 5 for an
hour and a half now with no errors.

Will probably run it at 2.8 volts to give it a bit of headroom.

Don't. The rule with RAM is to give it just as much voltage as it
needs to run stably and no more. It's too easy to fry.

Don't be silly. If the chips can handle 3.0v it won't hurt to run them
at 2.8v.

I wasn't being silly. The OP didn't specify the RAM's type and most DDR
doesn't like 2.8v.

OK, sorry...

It's mushkin 512M pc4000. the old version that was originally for
P4's. I pulled out the old spec sheet for it. And Mushkin rates the
voltage range as: 2.5-2.8 volts. Not bad.

Here's some interesting specs, but I don't know what they mean:

voltage on any pin relative to VSS VIN, VOUT: -0.5 ~ 3.6v
voltage on VDD relative to VSS VDD: -0.5 ~ 3.6v
voltage on VDDQ relative to VSS VDDQ: -0.5 ~ 3.6v

power dissipation (PD): 8W

Those 3.6v numbers look encouraging, though they aren't the rated
voltage spec (2.5-2.8v).