newbie: attach CDRW as slave?

Old November 15th 03, 10:46 PM
Larry Gagnon

Default newbie: attach CDRW as slave?

I am about to build up an Athlon XP2500 computer. I will have one hard
disk, one CDRW-DVD combo drive and one floppy disk drive. How do most
of you connect the CDRW, i.e. to the same EIDE controller as the hard
drive (as slave and HD as master), or do you use the second EIDE
controller seperately?

Larry Gagnon
***************
remove "fake" from email address
Old November 16th 03, 01:18 AM
LeeB18509

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
I am about to build up an Athlon XP2500 computer. I will have one hard
disk, one CDRW-DVD combo drive and one floppy disk drive. How do most
of you connect the CDRW, i.e. to the same EIDE controller as the hard
drive (as slave and HD as master), or do you use the second EIDE
controller seperately?

Larry Gagnon
***************
remove "fake" from email address

Secondary Master is a good spot and usually what the drive maker recommends.

Old November 16th 03, 01:22 AM
rms

Secondary Master is a good spot and usually what the drive maker
recommends.

And use a 80pin cable on both IDE ports. Run a 'manual drive detect' in
bios if needed.

rms

Old November 16th 03, 03:22 AM
Joe727

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
I am about to build up an Athlon XP2500 computer. I will have one hard
disk, one CDRW-DVD combo drive and one floppy disk drive. How do most
of you connect the CDRW, i.e. to the same EIDE controller as the hard
drive (as slave and HD as master), or do you use the second EIDE
controller seperately?

Larry Gagnon
***************
remove "fake" from email address

Secondary. It's really not a good idea to put hard drives and optical
drives on the same IDE channel IMHO. When I first added a CD-RW burner
about 5 years ago, I had problems because I put it on the primary IDE
channel with the Hard Drive.

Joe

Old November 16th 03, 01:31 PM
Stephen Farrell

put optical drives on same channell, but as far as i know you should'nt have
an optical and a hard drive on the same eide channel

Regards
. com...

Old November 16th 03, 04:35 PM
LeeB18509

"
Regards
. com...

Stephen Farrell" wrote in message
... put optical drives on same channell,
but as far as i know you should'nt have
an optical and a hard drive on the same eide channel

None of that matters anymore.
http://www.storagereview.com/guide20...onfTiming.html

Old November 16th 03, 05:15 PM
Laziter [9440]

"Larry Gagnon" skrev i en meddelelse
I am about to build up an Athlon XP2500 computer. I will have one hard
disk, one CDRW-DVD combo drive and one floppy disk drive. How do most
of you connect the CDRW, i.e. to the same EIDE controller as the hard
drive (as slave and HD as master), or do you use the second EIDE
controller seperately?

Larry Gagnon
***************
remove "fake" from email address

I have my CDRW attached as slave, and I have no problems with performance or
anything else for that matter.

/Benjamin

Old November 16th 03, 09:00 PM
Joe727

That's what I said.

Joe

"Stephen Farrell" wrote in message
put optical drives on same channell, but as far as i know you should'nt

have
an optical and a hard drive on the same eide channel

Regards

snip Secondary. It's really not a good idea to put hard drives and

Old November 16th 03, 10:29 PM
Dodge Tom

I have no problem with hdd/cd as master/slave on primary ide AND hdd/cdrw on
secondary ide for several years. Yes, 8 out of ten PC I own has that
configurations.

Two PC of those ten has DVD as slaves on primary ide and I watch DVD movies
with no problems as long as you have DVD's DMA enabled in Win98 and Win2000.

CDRW not being detected as pri or sec slave... Fredericks General 2 April 18th 04 10:01 PM
lost primary slave when installing ASUS A7V8X-X BC Berry General 3 January 1st 04 03:33 AM
Slave or Master RanMan General 6 December 21st 03 12:32 AM
DVD / CDRW drive master slave situation - General 3 November 24th 03 11:23 PM
set CDROM as master not slave? kony General 1 June 28th 03 07:40 AM