IP4200 vs IP5200 for home use, limited photo printing

Old April 5th 06, 07:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default IP4200 vs IP5200 for home use, limited photo printing

There is about a 50% difference in price between these two printers.

Which one do people recommend as an overall best choice for general home
use and few, if any, photos?

How does the cost of ink compare for the above tasks between these two
printers?

--

-Pat
Old April 5th 06, 08:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Pat Coghlan wrote:

There is about a 50% difference in price between these two printers.

Which one do people recommend as an overall best choice for general
home use and few, if any, photos?

How does the cost of ink compare for the above tasks between these two
printers?

TO UNDERSTAND CANON MARKETING YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE PREVIOUS MODELS
AND THE CURRENT MODELS AND COMPARE THE PRICE POINT.

THE STREET PRICES FOR THE IP3000 FELL TO ABOUT 80.00 THE IP4000 ABOUT
100.00 AND THE IP5000 YOU COULD GET FOR UNDER 150.

THE IP3000 WAS DISCONTINUED AND UPGRADED TI BE THE IP4200 AND CAN BE HAD
FOR AROUND 80.

THE IP5000 WAS REPLACED BY THE IP5200 AND ALSO IS AN UPGRADE TO THE
IP4000 AND IS SELLING FOR ABOUT THE SAME PRICE AS THE IP4000 WHEN IT
FIRST CAME OUT.

THE IP4200 IS FAR SLOWER THAN THE IP4000 AND WILL PRODUCE PHOTOS AT
ABOUT THE SAME RESULTS BUT TEXT AND GRAPHICS ARE BETTER.

THE IP5200 IS ABOUT THE SAME SPEED AS THE IP4000 AND PRODUCES ABOUT THE
SAME PHOTOS WITH BETTER TEXT AND GRAPHICS. IT IS BASICALLY A
REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP5000.
Old April 5th 06, 11:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Pat Coghlan wrote:
There is about a 50% difference in price between these two printers.

Which one do people recommend as an overall best choice for general home
use and few, if any, photos?

I have both the earlier IP4000 and the IP5000. If the newer models are
anything like mine then the iP5200 will be the superior printer. My
iP5000 with its 1 pl nozzles produces significantly better photos and
graphics to the 2pl iP4000. Text is about the same.

How does the cost of ink compare for the above tasks between these two
printers?

I refill my own cartridges so that ink cost is basically negligible. I bet
you didn't think there was such a thing as negligible ink costs. Well,
at about $1.00 to refill each tank, what else can I call it? My iP5000
has been using compatible inks, from various sources, since Dec. 2004
and has performed flawlessly with all of them.

I should miss out buying the current iP4200/5200 models as I still have
2 printers (+1 in storage, an i860) in absolutely perfect condition.
I'll just have to wait patiently for my next printers - or donate them
to friends . . . . .

-Taliesyn
Old April 6th 06, 12:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

There is about a 50% difference in price between these two printers.
Which one do people recommend as an overall best choice for general home
use and few, if any, photos?
How does the cost of ink compare for the above tasks between these two
printers?

The ip5200 has more nozzles and a larger head than the ip4200. The
result is more image printed per stroke, so expect it to be faster.
The ip5200 is also a good deal heavier than the ip4200.

They take the same ink, so the cost per page should be the same.

I've not been able to see a difference between the output from one or
the other. I will say I bought the ip5200 for $120 from Amazon, though
it's apparently up to $130 plus tax free shipping.

If you need it faster, go ip5200 Best price Amazon.com AFAIK
If you are willing to wait, to ip4200 best price buy.com $77.99 free
shipping or about the same price as the ink at office depot.

Old April 6th 06, 12:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Taliesyn wrote:

Pat Coghlan wrote:

There is about a 50% difference in price between these two printers.

Which one do people recommend as an overall best choice for general
home use and few, if any, photos?

I have both the earlier IP4000 and the IP5000.

AND THEY ARE CLOGGED

THE IP4000 DOES SUPERIOR PHOTOS. THE IP5000 DOES SUPERIOR TEXT AND
GRAPHICS.

If the newer models are
anything like mine then the iP5200 will be the superior printer. My
iP5000 with its 1 pl nozzles produces significantly better photos

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE. PCMAG SAYS THE OPPOSITE. DO NOT BELIEVE A
HIGH SCHOOL KID

and
graphics to the 2pl iP4000. Text is about the same.

MORE LIES

How does the cost of ink compare for the above tasks between these
two printers?

I refill my own cartridges so that

HE CAN GET A REAL GOOD CLOG. HE DOES NOT KNOW WHO MAKES THE CRAPPY INK

ink cost is basically negligible. I bet
you didn't think there was such a thing as negligible ink costs. Well,
at about $1.00 to refill each tank, what else can I call it? My iP5000
has been using compatible inks, from various sources, since Dec. 2004
and has performed flawlessly with all of them.

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

I should miss out buying the current iP4200/5200 models as I still have
2 printers (+1 in storage, an i860) in absolutely perfect condition.
I'll just have to wait patiently for my next printers - or donate them
to friends . . . . .

DA HIGH SCHOOL KID NEEDS ALL OF THESE BACKUP PRINTERS CAUSE HE
CONTINUOUSLY CLOGS THEM.

-Taliesyn

Best printers for photo printing on "plain paper"? (or maybe you've got some better ideas altoghether) JSteele Printers 17 June 21st 05 12:55 PM
New Epson pigment ink printers for photo printing? Mark B. Printers 0 August 1st 03 10:58 AM
Epson Inkjet Stylus Photo 950 - CD Printing? eric Printers 5 July 25th 03 12:06 PM
Printing B&W photo Vinylmixer Printers 2 July 18th 03 08:13 AM
Epson Stylus Photo 820-Incomplete Printing Neil Printers 0 July 9th 03 12:14 PM