{Newbie}Unlocking the Truth about Mutipliers, CAS, and Dividers?

Old December 30th 03, 05:19 AM
Hank

Google is your friend.

Old December 30th 03, 05:32 AM
BigFNDeal

First I would like to know what the heck these cryptic symbols mean:

***I will use "" as my highlighter...

"Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.775vCore"

"512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (9,3,3,2.0 - 2.7v)"

"2500 Barton 0343 it is locked solid . 1 stick of
DDR 3200 Kingston .
Can not get anything higher than 1837.49 MHz ( 167.04 x 11.0 ) Vcore is
at1.69 V . Is there anything I can do to boost this puppy up a bit ?? MB
is 21 Celcius , CPU is 32 Cel . Thanks in advance
I'm running mine at 213x10.5 @ 1.75v with no ill effects (36C system/49C
socket using Prime95). I'm using Kingston PC3500 @ 2.6v. From your temp
readings you've got room to play. Start raising CPU voltage in .025v
increments. Keep an eye on your temps.
FRH"

And Y'ALL are talking about Weeks (in regard to chip manufacture) what
is this all about???

Okay, I am all done with the said above...

Now it is your turn (yeah, You the one reading this RIGHT NOW) to talk
about your experiences and such and what you recommend for a FIRST
TIMER, what information sources you recommend, tips of the trade, your
worst mess up in your OC'ing history (i want all the meaty details How
hot was the fire, how many houses did you toast, how many cats
died,etc,.), What resources you recommend (I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH)
such as where to get your parts, where to look for overclocking
informations, where to look for memory and hardware information, what
type of dumb questions did you ask when y'all were No0Bs, How High/Low
can you go (Temp wise, Cost wise, etc), What cooling systems do you
recommend, What is the BEST CPU and RAM and MB and PS for OVERCLOCKING
(No Flame Wars (pun NOT intended)), Just Talk... Because I want to be
able to save all the responses and make it into an OpenContent Book or
maybe I could compile it for WikiPedia their OverClocking section, or
for the near future I would just want to have all this info for
reference so when People ask about (what is a multiplier, or how fast
can you go) stuff in RealLife not just iNet I can give them an answer
that they wont just say "Oh You Just Started OC'Inc You Cant Know"...

Thanks in advance for helping develop a resource for people to learn
about Computers...

~7~

--Snail

The most important thing to understand about overclocking is that it is not
something you just decide one day to do. You can, and most likely will if
you don't do the proper leg work, damage your components. The whole idea is
to get the absolute most performance out of the hardware that makes up your
PC. I cannot stress enough that you must do ALOT of research before trying
anything yourself. You can read posts from newsgroups, do a google search on
overclocking and read the sites you find repeatedly and then there's print
media like MaximumPC and CPU Magazine that you can also check out. These
refrence materials will answer most, if not all of your questions.

After doing all the reading and getting an idea of what you want to try and
do, you must follow the most important rule of overclocking - TAKE BABY
STEPS! This is the biggest piece of advise I can give you. Never take a
processor running at 133MHz and all of the sudden set it to 200MHz and think
it will work... IT WON'T!! Don't jump from a multiplier of 11 to a
multiplier of 12.5 just because someone else set thier multiplier there for
the same chip you have - IT'LL FAIL! Always take baby steps. I never go more
than 1 multiplier step at a time or more than 5MHz. After every step I run
Prime95 for at least 2 hours to assure stability, then I move up again, and
repeat until I get recurring failures, then I go back.

Let me know if you need more info.
--
A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 | 1007 ÜberBIOS | 1700+ @ 12 x 168 = 2.02Ghz @ 1.7v |
CorsairXMS TwinX 2700LL (2x256) 2-2-2-11 @ 2.7v | MSI GeForce4Ti4200 128MB @

Old December 30th 03, 02:46 PM
Skid

I'm on my first cup of coffee, so this ain't Gospel. If I screw anything up,
I'm sure someone will be happy to tell me where I went wrong. But I ought to
be able to bluff the average newbie into thinking I know what I'm talking
about, so here goes:

"Aaron Dinkin" wrote in message

First I would like to know what the heck these cryptic symbols mean:

***I will use "" as my highlighter...

"Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.775vCore"

The speed at which a cpu runs is determined by the fsb (front side bus)
times the multiplier.

The most common stock fsbs are 100, 133, 166 and 200. Overclockers raise
them as high as the cpu and memory will allow. (For reasons mostly known
only to the marketing departments, AMD doubles that number and Intel
quadruples it when selling cpus -- so if AMD sells a 266 it runs at 133 and
if Intell sells an 800 it runs at 200. Am I confusing you yet? If not, read
on and I'll try harder.)

Some AMD cpus have the multipliers "unlocked" so they can be changed at will
for more speed. All Intel cpus are "locked," so they can be overclocked only
by raising the fab.

In the example above, a stock Barton 2500 runs at 11x166.66=1833 mhz, or
1.83 ghz. It has been overclocked by raising the fsb to 220, so 220x11=2200
mhz or 2.2 gigs. (If the multi was unlocked, he might have tried
166.66x13=2.16 ghz, see how it works?)

That cpu's core voltage at stock settings is 1.65v. The overclocker in this
case bumped it to 1.75v to increase stability at the limits of performance.

But that also increases the amount of heat the cpu generates, which is why
you see endless arguments about temperature readings, how hot is too hot,
and which heat-sink and fan combo work best.

"512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (9,3,3,2.0 - 2.7v)"

Often in overclocking, the memory is more of a bottleneck than the cpu. The
highest officially certified memory speed is PC3200. That's also know as DDR
400. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, in this case 400 is double the fsb
speed of 200 -- which is as high as Intel and AMD want to go at the moment.

But overclockers, being the extremists we are, have created demand for
faster memory for fsb overclocks, spawning a cottage industry in memory
sporting faux ratings like PC3500 (216 fsb, DDR 433,) PC3700 (233 fsb DDR
466,)
and PC 4000 (250 fsb, DDR 500.)

In the example above, the memory is at 220 mhz, just a few ticks above its
rated speed. It's running 1:1, which means the same speed as the fsb.
There's also 5:4, where the ram runs at 80% of the fsb, and 3:2 or 66%.
Those are used when you want to set the fsb higher than the ram can go for
maximum cpu overclock.

The ram or DDR voltage works the same as the cpu. Most ram defaults to
2.55-2.6, a lot of times it will run faster than it's supposed to if you
bump the voltage to 2.7-2.8.

The numbers set off by commas are referred to as ram timings. This one is
actually written backwards, probably because that's the way it appears in
the bios of that particular motherboard. The most important number in this
case is the last one, 2.0 is the CAS rating. That's the lowest, and the
fastest. For the slowest, CAS 3, most people would write it like this:
3,4,4,8. To figure out what CAS means and what the other numbers are, I
refer you to the arcane but edifying bios encyclopedia at www.rojakpot.com

When overclocking, raising or "loosening" those ram timings will often allow
you to run a higher fsb. Once the cpu as high as it can go, you want to
"tighten" them again for the maximum stable performance.

"2500 Barton 0343 it is locked solid . 1 stick of
DDR 3200 Kingston .
Can not get anything higher than 1837.49 MHz ( 167.04 x 11.0 ) Vcore is
at1.69 V . Is there anything I can do to boost this puppy up a bit ?? MB
is 21 Celcius , CPU is 32 Cel . Thanks in advance
I'm running mine at 213x10.5 @ 1.75v with no ill effects (36C system/49C
socket using Prime95). I'm using Kingston PC3500 @ 2.6v. From your temp
readings you've got room to play. Start raising CPU voltage in .025v
increments. Keep an eye on your temps.
FRH"

And Y'ALL are talking about Weeks (in regard to chip manufacture) what
is this all about???

Voodoo and mass hysteria, mostly. In general, early chips in a series have
limited overclocking potential until AMD or Intel get the bugs out, so later
weeks can sometimes go higher. Every now and then an urban myth surfaces
about a magic week where the cpus all seem to do better than average and
everybody scrambles to buy them while they're hot. Also, AMD recently
started locking cpus, so some people are trying to buy chips made in the
weeks before that happened.

Trouble is, most vendors don't specify what weeks they're selling. The are
charts online that show you how to read the model numbers on the top of the
chip in case you want to see what you got.

Okay, I am all done with the said above...

Now it is your turn (yeah, You the one reading this RIGHT NOW) to talk
about your experiences and such and what you recommend for a FIRST
TIMER, what information sources you recommend, tips of the trade, your
worst mess up in your OC'ing history (i want all the meaty details How
hot was the fire, how many houses did you toast, how many cats
died,etc,.),

Sorry, but the statute of limitations is not yet up, and there was a gag
order imposed as part of the plea bargain. Perhaps you could sneak into a
meeting of your local chapter of Overclocker's Anonymous. But try not to
betray shock and disgust, or you could be badly overvolted.

What resources you recommend (I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH)
such as where to get your parts,

www.newegg.com is the single best, IMHO. www.pricewatch.com gives you
comparative prices from multiple vendors, and www.reselleratings.com tells
you which of them are lying thieves.

where to look for overclocking
informations, where to look for memory and hardware information, what
type of dumb questions did you ask when y'all were No0Bs, How High/Low
can you go (Temp wise, Cost wise, etc), What cooling systems do you
recommend, What is the BEST CPU and RAM and MB and PS for OVERCLOCKING

Right here is good. There are guides, reviews and forums at
www.anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com and www.overclockers.com that I can
recommend, plus a bajillion others all over the web.

(No Flame Wars (pun NOT intended)), Just Talk... Because I want to be
able to save all the responses and make it into an OpenContent Book or
maybe I could compile it for WikiPedia their OverClocking section,

All my free advice is copyrighted and I charge big bucks for republication.
My lawyers will sue you if you reprint without permission. Overclockers are
all honorable and trustworthy people and would never, ever, pretend to know
something they actually stole from somewhere else. It just doesn't happen,
honest. (OK, sometimes when babelfish mangles the translation really bad you
can tell.)

for the near future I would just want to have all this info for
reference so when People ask about (what is a multiplier, or how fast
can you go) stuff in RealLife not just iNet I can give them an answer
that they wont just say "Oh You Just Started OC'Inc You Cant Know"...

Sorry to disillusion you, kid. But if you stay in this newsgroup until
you're old and gray, people will still call you a fool on a daily basis. Or
at least that's what I hear from the old fools who still hang out here.

Thanks in advance for helping develop a resource for people to learn
about Computers...

No, no, no. This is a resource to help people learn how to break perfectly
good computers by hot-rodding them so they can while away the time between
running benchmarks by fixing them again. Don't you know ANYTHING about
overclocking????

Old December 30th 03, 04:21 PM
Skid

"Aaron Dinkin" wrote in message

What is the BEST CPU and RAM and MB and PS for OVERCLOCKING

Why, the ones I own, of course.

Abit IC7, bios 19
P4C 2.4 @ 275x12=3.3 ghz. 1.575v
Vantec Aeroflow hsf, idles 44C, max 60C under torture
4x256-meg Buffalo Tech PC3700 (Winbond BH-5 chips) running 5:4, 220 mhz,
2,3,2,6, 2.8v.
Sapphire Radeon 9500, modded to 9700 and overclocked to Pro
Antec Sonata case, TruPower 380S psu
WD 80-meg 7200-rpm ATA 100, IBM 15-meg 7200-rpm ATA 100 (Need some SATA
lovin' soon.)
LiteOn 4x dual-format DVD burner, LiteOn DVD-ROM/CD-ROM
Plus assorted wireless and wired NICs, SCSI and USB **** hanging everywhere.

Old December 30th 03, 04:23 PM
joe~V~3838

ha hah, well written skid.......
and it even was helpful !
thanks
joe

"Skid" wrote in message =
I'm on my first cup of coffee, so this ain't Gospel. If I screw =

anything up,
I'm sure someone will be happy to tell me where I went wrong. But I =

ought to
be able to bluff the average newbie into thinking I know what I'm =

talking
about, so here goes:
=20
[...]

HUGE SNIP

=20

Old December 31st 03, 12:21 AM
~misfit~

Skid wrote:

big snip

No, no, no. This is a resource to help people learn how to break
perfectly good computers by hot-rodding them so they can while away
the time between running benchmarks by fixing them again. Don't you
know ANYTHING about overclocking????

LOL, ain't that the truth?
--
~misfit~

Old December 31st 03, 04:46 PM
Skid

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Skid wrote:

big snip

No, no, no. This is a resource to help people learn how to break
perfectly good computers by hot-rodding them so they can while away
the time between running benchmarks by fixing them again. Don't you
know ANYTHING about overclocking????

LOL, ain't that the truth?
--
~misfit~

You aren't going to kick me out of the frat for revealing our secret, are
you? If you keep quiet, I'll send you my recipe for making a video card
cooler out of a popsicle stick, a rubber band and a whirlygig.

Old December 31st 03, 11:42 PM
~misfit~

Skid wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
Skid wrote:

big snip

No, no, no. This is a resource to help people learn how to break
perfectly good computers by hot-rodding them so they can while away
the time between running benchmarks by fixing them again. Don't you
know ANYTHING about overclocking????

LOL, ain't that the truth?
--
~misfit~

You aren't going to kick me out of the frat for revealing our secret,
are you? If you keep quiet, I'll send you my recipe for making a
video card cooler out of a popsicle stick, a rubber band and a
whirlygig.

Hell no you won't get kicked out. It's a good thing to have someone with
your knowledge (and willingness to share it) who has a wicked sense of
humour too.

As for the whirlygig thing, I don't need it. I have trained bumble-bees.
Thanks anyway.
--
~misfit~

Old January 2nd 04, 08:47 PM
dmac

well written. thank you.
do you find better performance from multiple ram sticks vs less? example I
am thinking of is your 4 256mb instead of 2 512mb?

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

Old January 3rd 04, 03:56 AM
Wayne Youngman

"dmac" wrote
well written. thank you.
do you find better performance from multiple ram sticks vs less? example I
am thinking of is your 4 256mb instead of 2 512mb?

Hi,

from what I read you get *faster* performance using 4 x 256Mb sticks (over 2
x 512Mb Sticks). This is using an INTEL i865/i875 chipset
--
Wayne ][