Changing 'default' FSB speed with Tualatin?

Old July 26th 04, 12:57 PM
Spajky

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:40:06 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

I got a Slot-T today and fiited it into my only MSI 6163 Pro 440BX mobo of
the three I have that *doesn't* have bulging caps. At default (14 x 100) I
got 110 marks! That is good huh? BX does indeed rock!

nice & Ok!

. I don't think I'll even
try 115Mhz FSB (the next available setting) as I don't think it will give a
great improvement in CPU marks and will put my PCI/AGP busses even further
out-of-spec. Well, maybe I will. :-) 1.6Ghz sounds good to me. Maybe I'll
need to raise vcore a bit though....

do not exagerate & leave it like this ... not to overheat mosfets &
caps; problems will start to manifest after a year or so if not
replaced caps & voltage regulators with stronger ones!

rather tweak your sistem with this from my archive:
BX lovers with Tuallies, here is a "present" :-) ...
http://users.volja.net/jerman55/440BXNBT230.zip
(with proper settings, the sistem can be speeded up to 10% or even
more...)

MBM5 is giving me a vcore of 1.47v with the jumpers on the Slot-T set to
1.5v. Seems fine though....

mine is same here too, thats because Tuallies would need stronger
watts mosfets & higher capacity caps ...

I also lowered Vtt from 1,47 to 1,41V (added 68ohm resistor on the
one LM voltage reg close to Cpu Fan header to its control terminal
left pin & connected it to the Gnd, ... Cpu heats for about 0,5°C
less read from its onDie diode (my "gadget"!), barelly noticable but
prevents "my" extreme (CPUburn suite) test to quit time to time ...
Thats because my Cpu is at default voltage & with that program
Vcore falled too much below Vtt (not good, sporadic data corruption!
can occur)

I hot-glued a 40mm fan to the back of the case,
just above the I/O shield as the FET's behind the slot were getting
uncomfortably hot. It seems to have cooled them considerably....

wise thing that you have done that! ... I did the same few days ago
additionally....

my time ago research thru Web showed that BX is superior in
performance to any Tuallie native chipset:
approx. beter than i815epT 10%, 20% better than Via or Sis, 25% or
more better than **** Ali ones ... more or less ...

PS.: U do not need to reply 2 my mail I send it yesterday 2 U ...

I already fixed my MoBo (hope finally for next problematic caps, there
are some still original ones there left) after that encountered
lightning hit ... & problems manifested later:

left mem chips on slots & NB, Q47 & EC13 are not heating so much now
after again replacing EC13 again with bigger one; damn, previously
8months before already replaced! this is Ram supply cap ... & ...
¤ßŁ÷׸¨ˇ^`˛°**** ... was even not bulged yet !!!

Everything back to normal (knock knock!); it would be time to update
my site with new pics too, but I am a bit lazy with the summer temps
here we have ... (I have an AirConditioner, but anyway ...)

.... I am really sick & tired of mounting & dismounting my machine
lately ... :-/ I hope that the lightning strike did not damage my
rams further ...

... now I have to repair my surgeProtector (change MOVs inside for
mains with such strong shock they got, they are not reliable any more)
to be able to do its work properly again....
(to save money w/o replacing it with a new one; I have a lot of new
proper MOVs laying around here :-) ... uf, what a week ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old July 26th 04, 04:10 PM
~misfit~

Spajky wrote:

PS.: U do not need to reply 2 my mail I send it yesterday 2 U ...

I only noticed it an hour ago and have written you a reply already. I don't
check the Yahoo account often.
--
~misfit~

Old July 26th 04, 04:12 PM
~misfit~

Spajky wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:11:51 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:
I have a 1.2Ghz one arriving tomorrow ..

not a good choice ...

It's free.

Unfortunately that'll put my AGP way out-of-spec but I can always
run an old PCI video card in it I guess,.....

After getting the 1.4 to do 1.61 I'm hoping the 1.2 will handle a 133FSB.
--
~misfit~

Old July 26th 04, 08:45 PM
Spajky

Thanks anyway; hope you will be lucky with that 1,2@1,6; cheers ..
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old July 27th 04, 12:11 AM
P2B

wrote:

I got a Slot-T today and fiited it into my only MSI 6163 Pro 440BX mobo of
the three I have that *doesn't* have bulging caps. At default (14 x 100) I
got 110 marks! That is good huh? BX does indeed rock!

nice & Ok!

. I don't think I'll even
try 115Mhz FSB (the next available setting) as I don't think it will give a
great improvement in CPU marks and will put my PCI/AGP busses even further
out-of-spec. Well, maybe I will. :-) 1.6Ghz sounds good to me. Maybe I'll
need to raise vcore a bit though....

do not exagerate & leave it like this ... not to overheat mosfets &
caps; problems will start to manifest after a year or so if not
replaced caps & voltage regulators with stronger ones!

It really depends on the board - my P2B systems have run 7x24 for over 2
years with no sign of problems. The FETs and caps don't even get hot (no
extra cooling or sinks), just don't touch the clock chip at 150Mhz FSB!

Keep in mind the Tualatin only draws slightly more power than a Katmai
P3 600 - so if the board was *properly* designed to power a Katmai, it
should handle a Tualatin.

[...]

You can reduce Vtt further - BX chipset runs just fine with Vtt=1.25v.
My systems run Vcore=1.4v, Vtt=1.3v.

Old July 27th 04, 01:31 AM
David Maynard

wrote:

[...]

It isn't (processor) 'power', per see, that's the problem with the
regulators, it's the *current*.

35 watts at 2 volts is 17.5 amps but at 1.5 volts it's 23.3 amps, or 33%
more than it was 'designed for'.

Old July 27th 04, 01:59 AM
P2B

David Maynard wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I agree with your calculations, but my understanding is it's overheating
that causes the demise of these components over the medium term - and I
would expect temperature to be proportional to power dissipated, i.e. 35
watts in both cases.

I would expect failure to occur in a matter of hours, perhaps days, if
the current rating of any component was significantly exceeded - I've
seen pictures of Abit BX boards that died spectacularly shortly after
being asked to run a Tualatin.

Old July 27th 04, 04:04 AM
~misfit~

wrote:

PS.: U do not need to reply 2 my mail I send it yesterday 2 U ...

I only noticed it an hour ago and have written you a reply already.
I don't check the Yahoo account often.

Thanks anyway; hope you will be lucky with that 1,2@1,6; cheers ..

It's been running fine for quite a while now. I'm quite happy with it.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Old July 27th 04, 04:31 AM
David Maynard

P2B wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, yes, it's the 'power' but not the processor's power. It's the current
through the FETs, which causes voltage drop across them (due to their RDSon
resistance), which is power.

Say it's RDSon is .02 ('typical' for my BH6 FET with 5V gate). That would
be (P = I^2 x R) 23.2^2 x .02 = 10.8578 watts (average).

Something not shown in the 'average' power is the peak switching current.

I would expect failure to occur in a matter of hours, perhaps days, if
the current rating of any component was significantly exceeded

Not necessarily. Depends on ambient, CPU load (how long do most people run
it full out?), etc.

My BH6 was fine till room ambient, plus it being confined under a desk,
went up 5C (last year).

I think the now 'repaired' BH6 would be fine even then because I replaced
the FET with one that has an RDSon of .008.

- I've
seen pictures of Abit BX boards that died spectacularly shortly after
being asked to run a Tualatin.

I don't doubt it.

Of course, there could be other reasons why one failed. Maybe the Vreg
didn't understand the Vcore setting, etc.

Old July 27th 04, 04:44 AM
Spajky

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:11:45 -0400, P2B wrote:

It really depends on the board - my P2B systems have run 7x24 for over 2
years with no sign of problems. The FETs and caps don't even get hot (no
extra cooling or sinks), just don't touch the clock chip at 150Mhz FSB!

yep depends on the board; on the contrary with MS6163pro; but there is
no overheating of a clock chip @ 155MHz on this particular MoBo!
(& I am running ALL my fans @ 5V or even a bit less)
But P2B is a "mitic" Asus hell-of-a-board (best quality of that time)
now they do not make boards that can last so anymore ... :-(

Keep in mind the Tualatin only draws slightly more power than a Katmai
P3 600 - so if the board was *properly* designed to power a Katmai, it
should handle a Tualatin.

not necessary; voltage & current on mosfets with Tuallies is enough
bigger that can overheat if are weaker ones; on my MoBo they are
75W/52A ones; for example other spare I have (canibalized from EpoxBX6
non CuMine ready) are 100W/65A ones & heat much less!

You can reduce Vtt further - BX chipset runs just fine with Vtt=1.25v.
My systems run Vcore=1.4v, Vtt=1.3v.

I know (I´ve tested with 1,22 Vtt) but dont´t wanna go lower, since
time to time I test even some old Mendocino ones on my board
occasionally ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

How to speed up my CPU? MC General 11 December 12th 04 08:11 PM
AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed ԻCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Overclocking AMD Processors 18 May 6th 04 12:14 AM
AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed Complexity LongBow Overclocking AMD Processors 7 May 2nd 04 12:23 AM
P3-800 vs Celeron 1.4 --> video encoding time PS General 15 September 21st 03 06:14 PM
CD burning speed determines read speed? David K General 4 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM