Changing 'default' FSB speed with Tualatin?

Old July 21st 04, 02:16 AM
P2B

David Maynard wrote:
[snip]
That's why I prefer Slot-1 BX boards for Tualatins - the adapter gives
you adjustable VID and FSB without resorting to 'ambitious'
modifications.

Yeah, unless you're using the 'super slocket III" (modified, of course).

Don't those things need modification to work at all? :-)

(I won't use an adapter without voltage clamps)

Besides, I thought you pined for the 'old fashion' days of tape and
solder

IMHO overclocking was more fun back when soldering in a faster crystal
was the only option, but I'm happy as long as I get to mess with the
hardware. Keyboard overclocking just doesn't cut it for me....

Old July 21st 04, 02:29 AM
P2B

~misfit~ wrote:

P2B wrote:

IME Tualatins don't respond to Vcore increases anyway - at least not
on BX boards. Every Tually I've tested tops out at around 1650Mhz, and
won't go any further even if you increase Vcore to dangerous levels.
OTOH, most of my Tuallies will do over 1600 at 1.35v, and would
probably go even lower except Vcore tends to exhibit increasing
ripple below 1.4v on BX boards.

Thanks for the input, it's good to 'talk' with someone who has a bit of
experience with these things.

The really ambitious have been known to break the motherboard traces
to the socket and wire in their own DIP switches for the VID and FSB
signals to make both adjustable.

That's why I prefer Slot-1 BX boards for Tualatins - the adapter gives
you adjustable VID and FSB without resorting to 'ambitious'
modifications.

What adapter P2B? I like BX boards and have a couple here. However I think
that they need the odd capacitor replaced.

I like the Upgradeware Slot-T - it'll run any Coppermine or Tualatin,
fits anywhere a Slot-1 CPU will, has nice clean signals up to at least
150Mhz FSB, and is readily available at reasonable prices. The only
thing it's missing is a jumper to select which pin you want to use for
bus request in a dual CPU system - but I've taken advantage of that too,
just sold my 40th pair of dual-modded Slot-Ts :-)

P2B

Old July 21st 04, 02:37 AM
P2B

Spajky wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:14:52 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Also, Spajky, what speed do you have your Tui at and how many marks does it
get with CPUMark99 on a BX?

1.0A@1,35G
I tested it with PCMark2002 & I get 3400 points ...

CPUMark99, 1.0A@1500Mhz = 132
CPUMark99, P3-S@1575Mhz = 143

(both on a P2B-S)

More Tualatin on BX benchmarks at tipperlinne.com/benchmark.htm

P2B

Old July 21st 04, 03:37 AM
David Maynard

P2B wrote:

David Maynard wrote:
[snip]

That's why I prefer Slot-1 BX boards for Tualatins - the adapter
gives you adjustable VID and FSB without resorting to 'ambitious'
modifications.

Yeah, unless you're using the 'super slocket III" (modified, of course).

Don't those things need modification to work at all? :-)

That IS why I said "modified, of course."

Cheaper than buying a new one and they're dern near the only 'non-tualatin'
slotket let.

(I won't use an adapter without voltage clamps)

Besides, I thought you pined for the 'old fashion' days of tape and
solder

IMHO overclocking was more fun back when soldering in a faster crystal
was the only option, but I'm happy as long as I get to mess with the
hardware. Keyboard overclocking just doesn't cut it for me....

Of course. Feels more like you're accomplishing something if it isn't just
a push button operation, 'built-in' no less.

Old July 21st 04, 05:21 AM
~misfit~

wrote:

Also, Spajky, what speed do you have your Tui at and how many marks
does it get with CPUMark99 on a BX?

1.0A@1,35G
I tested it with PCMark2002 & I get 3400 points ...

CPUMark99, 1.0A@1500Mhz = 132
CPUMark99, P3-S@1575Mhz = 143

(both on a P2B-S)

More Tualatin on BX benchmarks at tipperlinne.com/benchmark.htm

Wow! Those are good numbers. I might have to have another attempt at getting
one of these Tuis to work in a BX board. I wish I could find a couple of
P2B's.

I checked your page, your CPUMark figure for a Tui Celeron 1400 (14 x 100)
of 123 is amazing. I tried the same CPU in this board I have and got 87.3.
Huge difference.
--
~misfit~

Old July 21st 04, 05:24 AM
~misfit~

P2B wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:

P2B wrote:

[...]

I might have to buy one and give it a try, thanks.
--
~misfit~

Old July 21st 04, 12:06 PM
Spajky

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:21:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

CPUMark figure for a Tui Celeron 1400 (14 x 100)
of 123 is amazing. I tried the same CPU in this board I have and got 87.3.

mine 1.0A@1,35G CPUMark99 score 118

looks like that Fsb doesn´t matter much & also not L2 much for this
bench; its almost proportional to Cpu clock (on the same chipset) ...

--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old July 21st 04, 01:17 PM
~misfit~

wrote:

CPUMark figure for a Tui Celeron 1400 (14 x 100)
of 123 is amazing. I tried the same CPU in this board I have and got
87.3.

mine 1.0A@1,35G CPUMark99 score 118

looks like that Fsb doesn´t matter much & also not L2 much for this
bench; its almost proportional to Cpu clock (on the same chipset) ...

Yep, I think I'm gonna have to do without something or other for a week or
two and save the money for a Slot-T to put in an MSI 6163 Pro (with blue
sticker). I have a Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz in my drawer doing nothing and a
couple of 6163's, although one of them has a couple of caps bulging slightly
(The two biggest ones near the ATX connector and power FET's) and won't run
Coppermines anymore. Must get some replacement caps and try to replace them.

Didn't you replace a cap or two on your 6163 Pro Spajky? Was it one of those
ones?

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Old July 21st 04, 10:37 PM
Spajky

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:17:50 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

caps bulging slightly
(The two biggest ones near the ATX connector and power FET's) and won't run
Coppermines anymore. Must get some replacement caps and try to replace them.

there are a lot of dead MoBos around to canibalize them & use parts ..
:-)

Didn't you replace a cap or two on your 6163 Pro Spajky? Was it one of those
ones?

I was replacing caps few times partially till now, because I was
replacing only bulged ones & now almost all are replaced behind the
slotket & some others too!
Some of them for the second time & maybe tomorrow will replace again
one the third time, because its top is heating to much @ heavy tasks
(up to 60°C).

My experience for replacing caps: take phisically bigger (thicker &
taller if you can put them in) ones with greater capacity & voltage
for one value, especially the first left (back slash situated) two
after a toroidal coil (seen from the front way). So will heat less!!!
& last longer!
ALSO solder on these 2 ones terminals on the back bottom of a MoBO a
small (thin) 100nF block capacitor, so will heat even less!

There between 1st ram slot & slot 1 on the left from chipset close to
unused MoBo mounting hole is a small mosfet transistor which heats up
to 70°C (remember I have fans @5V , case closed & is summer here); so
I soldered on its metal base soldered to MoBo additional small piece
of metal to act as an additional HS

I did not wanted to open my setup, but 3 weeks ago here was a storm &
I encountered a close lightning hit & had not much damage because I
have few surge protectors, but could not handle this time fully so
strong strike (was a real BigBANG). My neighbors around my house had
much much more damage! w/o that my surge protectors, now I would not
have anything to repair.

After a week or two later problems with my machine started to manifest
(illegal ops with Agent often for example) ...(bulged caps, one almost
exploded) Still have some problems with my PSU (in the meantime I
repaired it, than tried some mod & made a short & there was a true :-)
firework in my kitchen, repaired it again, but I think I would get a
new one soon cause IMHO it heats more than it used too sometimes

Yep, this July for me was quite an andrenaline fullfiled month ... :-)
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

How to speed up my CPU? MC General 11 December 12th 04 08:11 PM
AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Overclocking AMD Processors 18 May 6th 04 12:14 AM
AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed Complexity LongBow Overclocking AMD Processors 7 May 2nd 04 12:23 AM
P3-800 vs Celeron 1.4 --> video encoding time PS General 15 September 21st 03 06:14 PM
CD burning speed determines read speed? David K General 4 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM