Memtest86 help

Old September 9th 05, 01:58 PM
obiwanzamora

Default Memtest86 help

Hi,

I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
errors or should it be totally error free?

Thanks

Old September 9th 05, 02:21 PM
Bob Day

"obiwanzamora" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
errors or should it be totally error free?

"Normal" is no errors, ever -- it should be totally error free.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Old September 9th 05, 02:35 PM
spodosaurus

obiwanzamora wrote:
Hi,

I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
errors or should it be totally error free?

Thanks

Should be error free. That said, I had a bad motherboard once result in
errors being reported on any RAM I put in that board, so there's always
the slim chance that there's a motherboard fault and not a DRAM fault.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old September 9th 05, 04:15 PM
JAD

software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
positive. if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine
for awhile. To truly know, the module should be hardware checked.

Old September 9th 05, 07:32 PM
Brad Houser

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:58:03 +0100, obiwanzamora wrote:

Hi,

I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
errors or should it be totally error free?

Thanks

Is it repeatable? If so, you have a problem. You can't count on your system
remaining stable if it can't remember 100% of what is written to memory.
One bad bit can wreak havoc.

Brad H
Old September 9th 05, 09:57 PM
Bob Day

"JAD" wrote in message ...
software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
positive.

There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86. If memtest86
sees an error, it's not necessarily a faulty dram -- could be the dram needs
reseating -- could be edgy bios settings, for example. But there is very
definitely a problem that needs to be solved.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Old September 9th 05, 10:50 PM
Bob Day

"JAD" wrote in message ...
uh huh...you wrote the software? whats gnu with you?

OK, since you brought up the idea, you explain it --
just how could there be a "false positive" ?

-- Bob Day

Old September 9th 05, 11:33 PM
JAD

that is to say that the USER does everything exactly the way it should be
done

F/P could be created by a ....power fluctuation...therefore a problem is
found but its a power problem not memory.

Old September 10th 05, 01:12 AM
Shep©

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:57:42 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
and then "Bob Day" wrote :

"JAD" wrote in message ...
software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
positive.

There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86.

Wrong.
Post absolute evidence of your statement please with at least 30 links
as proof including software memory testers against professional
hardware memory testers including all mother board brand makes and ram
makes and methods used and handling of the RAM when installed.

--
Free Windows/PC help,