Laser printer for Laptop, Which??

Old July 14th 03, 08:53 PM

Default Laser printer for Laptop, Which??

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a printer to hook up to my laptop, a
ThinkPad T30 (xp-pro) but know little about printers. I've read the
laserjet is better in the long run as far as upkeep goes- so am leaning
towards a laser rather than a inkjet. What if any, brand's are usable
with a laptop? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay
in the economy price range, it's for home use not office tasks. Thanks!

Yvonne

Old July 14th 03, 11:48 PM
Stanley Krute

Hi Yvonne

The Brother HL-5040 is the latest in a series
of excellent low-cost Brother laser printers.

Here's link to its product homepage:
http://www.brother.com/usa/printer/i...l5040_ove.html

The 5040 can be had for about $275.

You'd also want the following:

o- 128 MB 100-pin DIMM RAM memory for HL-5040/5050 -- about $35

o- Belkin 10-foot USB 2.0-capable printer cable -- about $10

That gets you up to about $320.

Toner plus drum replacements are your running
costs for this printer. They come to about 2 cents
per page for text pages, 5 cents per page for
all-graphics pages.

The Brother personal laser printers are rugged
and reliable.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Old July 15th 03, 12:33 AM
Deathwalker

Stanley Krute wrote:
Hi Yvonne

The Brother HL-5040 is the latest in a series
of excellent low-cost Brother laser printers.

Here's link to its product homepage:

http://www.brother.com/usa/printer/i...l5040_ove.html

The 5040 can be had for about $275.

You'd also want the following:

o- 128 MB 100-pin DIMM RAM memory for HL-5040/5050 -- about $35

o- Belkin 10-foot USB 2.0-capable printer cable -- about $10

That gets you up to about $320.

Toner plus drum replacements are your running
costs for this printer. They come to about 2 cents
per page for text pages, 5 cents per page for
all-graphics pages.

The Brother personal laser printers are rugged
and reliable.

Hope that helps.

Stan

unless your use runs into 1,000s pages per year laser prints are too
expensive.

any printer using parralel port or usb will fit a laptop that is less than 4
years old.
--
Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant

Old July 15th 03, 06:19 AM

I seen a color laserjet printer on dealtime.com for $28.00 + shp, at
eTechwarehouse unless it's a error. It's a SuperScript 4400 , is that a
decent one?

Yvonne