Ati Dual monitor display problems

Old August 31st 04, 03:55 PM
Cellular Dealer

Default Ati Dual monitor display problems

There are both ATi video cards currently. I have the Video working now. The
TV tuner will not turn on. Keeps on saying that it fails to initialize.
The only way it will work is if i physically remove the second card.

"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message
I suspect yer video player programs are detecting both screens on two
cards as the actual desktop resolution. Try temporarily disabling one of
the screens from the Control Panel display applet. As for the nVidia
card, disable the third monitor from the display applet and try using
the second and third screens in nView mode instead of Windows
multi-monitor mode.The other thing you can try is turning the nVidia
card into the primary display from Windows and using the Radeon as the
secondary screen. See if that helps.

Cellular Dealer wrote:

Please help !!! This is crazy.

I installed a second graphics card. First one is ATI 8500 AIW. Second

card
is Hightech Excalibur Radeon 9200 VIVO.

Both cards work fine, no problems with video or driver installation.
The problem is I cannot play any video. When I try to watch TV it gives

me
"TV player failed to initialize the video." The video was working fine

with
the 8500 before the 9200 was installed. With Media player, I can hear

the
audio, but cannot see the video. With Intervideo's WinDVD it says, "I

must
reduce the video size or resolution". All attempts to do this has

failed.
I originally installed an NVIDIA pci card and the same thing happened. I

was
told through the newsgroups that NVIDIA and ATI do not mix well

together. So
I removed the NVIDIA and installed the Radeon card. And this did not

work
either.

I really want this to work since the PCI card has dual output and I want

use a third monitor. This is very frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, James.

Old September 1st 04, 11:23 PM
Stephen J. Land

James,

I have a similar setup with an AIW 8500 and an ATI Express128 PCI card for
the second monitor. The only way I was finally able to get the video/TV to
work with both cards in the system was the following:

1] Remove the secondary card from your system.

2] Install (reinstall) the AIW drivers and software as well as any
subsequent driver or MMC updates. Go through all of the exercises such as
channel search and GemStar installation, etc.

3] At this point, your video/TV functions should work.

4] Install the second card in your system and the necessary drivers. At
this point your video/TV functions won't work so don't even try them.

5] Reinstall the latest version of the Catalst Drivers/MMC software that you
have downloaded from ATI. At this point you should get your TV/Video back.

6] Be warned, if you update your catalyst drivers or MMC software later with
the PCI card still installed, you may lose you TV/Video again. The ATI
installation program gets confused about what software to actual install
with more than one video card in the PC.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
.cable.rogers.com...

Old September 3rd 04, 01:26 AM
pjp

It actually seems to get confused if the 2nd card is also an ATI card. Seems
their install sees the PCI card and loooks no farther so as it doesn't see
any video-in/out features on it, it blindly removes any already installed
for the first card.

I had the same problem using two ATI cards. Finally rid myself of the bs by
substituting a non-ati card for the 2nd display.