Burning faulty data cd's (without realising)?

Old May 9th 04, 07:02 AM
Mangomix

Default Burning faulty data cd's (without realising)?

Well, I've been burning cd's on my Toshiba laptop SP 6100's burner
(Mat****sa UJDA720) for a year and a half and have just realised that
all of them are faulty, as I can't transfer the data back from them.

I'm using WinXP and I've tried every burning program, media & burning
speed possible without success.
Even though I get the impression that the cd had burnt successfully,
when trying to transfer the the files back to the hard drive some of
them can't be read and I get a error message saying "cyclic redundancy
check".
This problem happens on any other computer I try and read the burnt
cd's on, audio cd's also all burn with noticable pops on them.

I haven't managed to locate any updates/firmware for the Mat****sa
UJDA720 DVD/CDRW, nor does Toshiba seem to support it.
Should I assume my cd burner (which is 6mnths out of warranty) has
always been faulty and needs replacement?
Old May 9th 04, 07:47 PM
Mike Richter

Mangomix wrote:

[...]

I would not blame the drive but the match of drive, medium and speed.
Only if you find that there is no combination which gives good results
would it be reasonable to say that the drive is "bad".

I'd recommend starting with a line of discs recommended by the
manufacturer and running some tests at different speeds to find the best
operating point and the results that you get there. In order to test,
please make *measurements* - not go/no-go assessments. With toos such as
CD/DVD Diagnostic and CD Speed, you can read error rates not just listen
for glitches.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old May 9th 04, 08:30 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mangomix wrote:

[...]

Try IsoBuster:
http://www.isobuster.com

Other recovery softwares:

BadCopy Pro
http://www.jufsoft.com/

CD Data Rescue
http://www.naltech.com/

CD/DVD Diagnostic
http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html

CDRoller
http://www.cdroller.com/
Old May 9th 04, 09:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed (5/9/04):

Mangomix wrote :
Well, I've been burning cd's on my Toshiba laptop SP 6100's burner
(Mat****sa UJDA720) for a year and a half and have just realised that
all of them are faulty, as I can't transfer the data back from them.

Got time to respond to the above, but got no time to respond to this?

=======================================
From: John Baker
Subject: MS 2000 issue with CD from ROXIO Easy-CD Creator follow up
Date: 5/9/04

Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Thanks for the responses:

I have now heard that a system running XP Home 2002 also had a CRC
error reading the discs. I need to have a solution to this, since we
are distributing program discs to a number of people around the
country. Is there any CD writer that runs under W98 and will cover ALL
the bases -- create CDs that can be read in all Windows systems? Is
there any way that the two systems can cohabit happily, or will I have
to uninstall ROXIO?

I am not keen to do this because I have a lot of CDs in whatever ROXIOs
native format is, and will have to change them all I suspect.

Thanks for your help.

John Baker wrote:

I have created a set of CDs from my system (W98 using Roxio Easy CD Creator).
They all read fine in systems using XP and ME, but when people using w2000
try and read them they get a CRC error somewhere in the process. Does a
anyone know what might be happening? Its not the discs themselves, because
we have swapped discs around with the same results, and its ONLY on W2000
systems that we have the problem.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance