RIMM (Rambus) memory

Old March 25th 07, 10:36 AM posted to comp.hardware
David Azose

Default RIMM (Rambus) memory

Can I use less expensive memory in a computer that take Rambus memory?
The computer is a older Dell Dimension 8100. It has 4 memory slots. Two
are filed with 129mb modules and 2 are filled with 64mb modules (memory
must be installed as a pair).

We prices for a single 128mb Rambus module is $99. So to get a pair
would be $200 for a gain of only 128mb. Is there a less expensive solution?

D. Azose

Old March 25th 07, 05:20 PM posted to comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

The computer will work only with rambus memory. It is usually more cost effective to replace the motherboard than to buy rambus memory.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old March 26th 07, 01:39 AM posted to comp.hardware
David Azose

David Azose wrote:
Can I use less expensive memory in a computer that take Rambus memory?
The computer is a older Dell Dimension 8100. It has 4 memory slots. Two
are filed with 129mb modules and 2 are filled with 64mb modules (memory
must be installed as a pair).

We prices for a single 128mb Rambus module is $99. So to get a pair
would be $200 for a gain of only 128mb. Is there a less expensive solution?

D. Azose

Mike,

Thanks for the timely reply. I was afraid of that. I think I will just
leave it as it. Thanks again

David
Old March 27th 07, 04:27 AM posted to comp.hardware
Jonathan Roberts

David Azose wrote:
Can I use less expensive memory in a computer that take Rambus memory?
The computer is a older Dell Dimension 8100. It has 4 memory slots. Two
are filed with 129mb modules and 2 are filled with 64mb modules (memory
must be installed as a pair).

We prices for a single 128mb Rambus module is $99. So to get a pair
would be $200 for a gain of only 128mb. Is there a less expensive
solution?

D. Azose

Mike,

Thanks for the timely reply. I was afraid of that. I think I will just
leave it as it. Thanks again

David

Mike is 100% correct. I was able to find some cheaper prices on ebay
for this type of memory 6-9 months ago. I haven't compared your prices
above with ebay's current listings, but you might want to do so.