New HD3870

Old December 8th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl[_2_]

Default New HD3870

Hello all, I would like to know if the crossfire will work if I have an
HD3870, then later on, add one of the new dual core GPUs?

Old December 9th 07, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Adams[_2_]

Carl wrote:
Hello all, I would like to know if the crossfire will work if I have an
HD3870, then later on, add one of the new dual core GPUs?

What new dual core GPU's? I doubt it would work as they must be the same
cards. At least that is how Nvidia's SLI works, maybe it is different
for Crossfire but I doubt it. Game support for Crossfire is not very
good anyway.
Old December 9th 07, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl[_2_]

What new dual core GPU's? I doubt it would work as they must be the
same
cards. At least that is how Nvidia's SLI works, maybe it is different
for Crossfire but I doubt it. Game support for Crossfire is not very
good anyway.

ATI has a dual processor GPU available in the new year. Older iterations of
crossfire allowed different models of card to work together, ie a high end
and a midrange card, or, in the case or that fatal1ty branded motherboard,
for the onboard graphics chip to work with a PCI express ATi graphics card.

Old December 9th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

"Carl" wrote in message
What new dual core GPU's? I doubt it would work as they must be
the same
cards. At least that is how Nvidia's SLI works, maybe it is different
for Crossfire but I doubt it. Game support for Crossfire is not very
good anyway.

ATI has a dual processor GPU available in the new year. Older iterations
of crossfire allowed different models of card to work together, ie a high
end and a midrange card, or, in the case or that fatal1ty branded
motherboard, for the onboard graphics chip to work with a PCI express ATi
graphics card.

Yes, they do but in a Crossfire setup, they all run at the slowest speed of
the various installed cards. Which is one big reason why the Nvidia SLI
setup is more desirable and restrictive as to what pairs with what since
perfromance is the entire point.. If ATI does release a new dual core GPU
unit, odds are it's be an even faster clocked flagship product and latching
an HD3870 onto it, if even possible, would slow it down.

Old December 9th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl[_2_]

Thanks, Augustus. What I intend to do is put the 3870 into my second PC, I
bought it to do me until the new year, as my HD2900XT is returned to the
seller for testing, and I had read that this new dual core GPU is two 3870's
on the one board. But, time will tell! I thought that, in Crossfire, that if
you have a faster card and a slower card, that the workload is split say 70-
30 between the faster card and the slower card?

Old December 9th 07, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

You talking about the HD3870 X2? That card consists of two HD3870 GPUs
running in Crossfire mode on a single board, similar to the Rage Fury Maxx
and Voodoo5 5500.

Theoretically, using the HD3870 X2 along with your existing card would be
3-way Crossfire. The performance boost over a 2-way Crossfire setup (i.e.
just the X2 board) would be minimal, because Crossfire doesn't scale
linearly.

Old December 9th 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl[_2_]

Thank you, First of One.
Old December 10th 07, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Adams[_2_]

Carl wrote:

ATI has a dual processor GPU available in the new year. Older iterations
of crossfire allowed different models of card to work together, ie a
high end and a midrange card, or, in the case or that fatal1ty branded
motherboard, for the onboard graphics chip to work with a PCI express
ATi graphics card.

OK, didn't know that. I already have dual core GPU. 7950GX2.