Chaintech fx 5900XT does work with my ABIT BH6 AGP 2x

Old January 23rd 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Chaintech fx 5900XT does work with my ABIT BH6 AGP 2x

I didn't think the voltages would work, especially after all the
problems I initially had with my 8500DV (I eventually discovered that I
had the AGP port set to 1:1 instead of 2:3 clock ratio).

I have Windows 98SE with a 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celeron w/ 256k cache, 100
MHz FSB on a Powerleap PL-iP3/T v2.0 slot 1 adaptor.

I used to use a VooDoo3 3000 on this machine, but was finding that
nobody was using it anymore, so I experimented with this GeForce 5900XT
I had laying around, and it worked, beautifully.

There is no reason any more for me to have Windows 98SE, so I might as
well upgrade to XP.
I am really looking forward to the game "Star Wars: Empire at War". I
just downloaded the demo, and I wanted to make sure it worked. But that
game only accepts Windows 2000 or XP.

I'll probably also upgrade the RAM. This motherboard can handle 768
MB, but I only had 512 in there because of the Windows 9x limit on RAM.
I actually tried 768 in a 9x machine once, and it had a hard time even
booting up.

This motherboard and its longevity! I never imagined it would last this
long. It is so opened ended. It just amazes me. I was disappointed
when I initially got it, but it is paying off more and more as it gets
older and older. Go figure.

This is actually my second BH6. The 1st one died. I think the BIOS got
fried. I tried checking it again, and it was still dead. I bought
this one on eBay for about $15.

The only really out of date piece that is still replaceable is actually
the case. Since I installed the Chaintech fx 5900XT, the box has been
running warm. There is a good power supply in it. A Mad Dog 350 Watt
supply with 3 speed fans. It moves a lot of air. And on low and medium,
it is almost inaudible.

Old January 24th 06, 04:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have two BH6 mobos here, not running anything with them at the moment. I
also have a BE6-II running a P3-800 (coppermine), and a BF6 with P3-450 and
384 megs. 98SE will work with 768 megs fine with a registry tweak. It
seems that filling that third dimm slot is trouble sometimes, hardware-wise.
But a Ti4600 and FX5900 work just fine in them, though that's a bit of a
waste. The same cards work just as fine in P4-fc2-478 and s939 mobos.
That's the surprising part, compatible with 440BX and up!
McG.

Old January 24th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I was unaware of a reg tweak that would enable the extra ram! I regret
selling that other 256 stick I had.

It is a waste, but I didn't have a better computer to stick it in, and
my Athlon XP machine is set up as my media center with my 8500DV. I
have a very limited budget, and as I said, I had the 5900XT just laying
around. I felt guilty not useing it.

Now I have 2 loose VooDoo3 3000s around and nowhere to stick them...
yet...