Printing on thicker media - advice please?

Old October 9th 09, 09:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Harry Keane

Default Printing on thicker media - advice please?

I've been using a fairly old but reliable HP Deskjet 980cxi to print
greeting cards and business cards, using thick material (up to 300 gsm.)
The rollers which feed the media have now worn away and I've had problems
with cards slipping and not feeding through. It doesn't look as though I
can get replacement rollers (or any other spare parts, for that matter) and
I'm now looking for a replacement printer which will cope with thick media.
Most of my stuff is black and white, so a laser would be a possibility, but
colour would be a useful addition. I nearly always print on A4, and I do
have another HP which prints A3 on plain paper, so I don't need anything
that big. Any advice would be appreciated.
--
Harry Keane

Old October 31st 09, 12:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Lon

Harry Keane wrote:
I've been using a fairly old but reliable HP Deskjet 980cxi to print
greeting cards and business cards, using thick material (up to 300 gsm.)
The rollers which feed the media have now worn away and I've had
problems with cards slipping and not feeding through. It doesn't look
as though I can get replacement rollers (or any other spare parts, for
that matter) and I'm now looking for a replacement printer which will
cope with thick media. Most of my stuff is black and white, so a laser
would be a possibility, but colour would be a useful addition. I nearly
always print on A4, and I do have another HP which prints A3 on plain
paper, so I don't need anything that big. Any advice would be appreciated.

If your media is unusually thick or stiff, the Canon inkjets have an
option to feed from the rear, so there is no bending of the stock thru
the printer.

Old October 31st 09, 04:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Harry Keane

"Lon" wrote in message
Harry Keane wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that's useful. (I've been patiently trawling through "Technical
Specifications" on various manufacturer's website pages for numerous
printers - they don't always state the maximum media thickness, which is
frustrating. I posted here not because I'm lazy [although I am a bit...]
but because I hoped an existing user of such a printer would pop up with a
good recommendation.)

Harry

Old October 31st 09, 09:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Lon

Harry Keane wrote:

"Lon" wrote in message
Harry Keane wrote:
[...]

I have both a Canon 820D [older model] and an Epson R1800
Before you buy, check online help and forums to see whether it has a
rear [straight line] feed or bends slightly.

printing on thicker medium [email protected] Printers 5 June 15th 07 10:32 PM
Printing on media Mickey Printers 5 May 2nd 07 03:49 PM
Advice/Recommendation on CD Printer and Silver Media Saucer Man Cdr 8 January 21st 06 04:06 PM
Epson Stylus Photo R300 - Printing on Media Bad Bubba Printers 3 July 20th 04 10:52 AM
Printing on Media Mini Me Cdr 5 November 5th 03 08:39 AM