HELP: Dell MBR Factory Restore Image option lost

Old July 9th 08, 09:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Andrew Wan

Default HELP: Dell MBR Factory Restore Image option lost

I have a Dell Vostro 1400 laptop with Windows Vista. I learnt about
the F8 "Advanced Recovery Options". Dell has a SPECIAL option called
"Factory Default Restore Image"... whereas normal Windows Vista
Advanced Recovery Options don't have this last SPECIAL option.

Since I just bought this new laptop, I decided to TEST the recovery
features NOW rather than LATER. So I used the "Factory Default Restore
Image" via F8. It worked really well and is very similar to OEM
"sealed" out-of-box experience with Windows XP back in the old days.

Partitions are like:

/dev/sda1 fat16 117.63MB (63/240974)
/dev/sda2 ntfs 10GB (241664/21213183) RECOVERY
/dev/sda3 ntfs your_size (?/?) OS
/dev/sda4 extended your_size (?/?)
/dev/sda5 fat32 2.5GB (307337216/312578047) MEDIADIRECT

The only visible partition is C:\. I want to have C:\ OS & D:\
PERSONAL_DOCS partitions. Since we are only allowed 4 top-level
primary partitions I had to resize /dev/sda3 OS partition down to 32GB
from 110GB. Then I enlarged /dev/sda4 extended partition from 2.5GB to
100GB to fill the space created from C:\. I then created a logical
partition within the extended partition... which is now D:\ of 100GB.

I used PartedMagic GParted to resize partitions.

Everything looks good. Now I want to test whether Dell's Factory
Restore Image will nicely fill in NEW C:\ and keeping my NEW D:\
untouched. My F8 option has totally changed. Somehow Windows Vista
found the MBR corrupted and replaced it with generic MBR. My F8 is now
generic boot options... with no Advanced Recovery Options.

Does anyone know how to get the Dell's special MBR again?
Old July 9th 08, 11:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Paul8[_3_]

Default Dell MBR Factory Restore Image option lost

I used PartedMagic GParted to resize partitions.

Everything looks good. Now I want to test whether Dell's Factory
Restore Image will nicely fill in NEW C:\ and keeping my NEW D:\
untouched. My F8 option has totally changed. Somehow Windows Vista
found the MBR corrupted and replaced it with generic MBR. My F8 is now
generic boot options... with no Advanced Recovery Options.

Does anyone know how to get the Dell's special MBR again?

I think I have been just as clever. As soon as I did change the partitioning, my Dell
factory restore Image disappeared.
I dont know how to regain that Dell default image.
Instead I have installed True image11, providing system image backup and restore.
Making your own image with your own software and configuration is much more interesting.

Old July 9th 08, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Rich/rerat

Paul8,
By repartitioning your HDD, you have found out that you have broken the
link/process of using the Dell Restore application, F11 at boot-up. There is
a manual method of using the restore partition, if it was not deleted during
the repartitioning process, describe by Dan Goodell. I have manually been
able to restore my Dell DIM E521 using this method. But was never able to
get the F11 option to work again. I think it is because of my own skill
level concerning computers. See the following articles, the should help you
allot and explain some things to you.

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

I too use Acronis TI, but version 10. Once I did do the manual restore. I
use that program to make a back up Image of the restore. So I can use TI to
restore it back to "Factory Fresh".

--

Rich/rerat (RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old July 9th 08, 05:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Rich/rerat" wrote in message
[...]

Rich,

Probably has nothing to do with your expertise. As a general rule, I don't
screw around with the Dell factory partitioning much at all for this very
reason (deleting or altering partition sizes/properties tends to blow up the
restore function).

When I began "playing" with my XPS420, I simply accepted the fact that the
original partitioning and restore image would be lost.

I understand that there are methods to perhaps restore some of the original
partitions if done properly - some of them fairly complex, but it's never
been a priority of mine to pursue them - nor has the factory restore
partition ever been that important to me personally.

I also tend to prefer to use the entire capacity of my drives with little
extra partitioning.

Stew

-Stew

Old July 9th 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Timothy Daniels[_2_]

"Andrew Wan" wrote:
[...]

Forget the Dell special MBR. (In fact, Dan Goodell maintains that
the Dell MBR is exactly the standard Microsoft MBR.). And forget
the System Recovery partition. That is only of value in the first few
days or weeks of ownership before you add a few dozen OS updates,
app files, data files, system settings, email and appearance settings,
and you install subscribed software such as anti-virus utilities.

Your first mistake was resizing and adding to a Vista Extended
partition using a pre-Vista partition editor (i.e. Gparted). (See
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/partitions.html .) Vista uses a non-
standard 2,048-sector offset in its partitions, and Dell uses a mix of
standard 1-cylinder offset for its Primary partitions and a Vista offset
for its Extended partition that contains MediaDirect (again according
to Dan Goodell in private communication). The result is that by
futzing with the partitions, the average user is bound to screw things up.
Dell has caught a lot of flak for that, and its MediaDirect contractor
has been busy authoring a version 4.0 of MediaDirect that is not so
fragile. In the meantime, the best thing to do is to clone your Vista
partition to backup media. Utilities like Casper can clone Vista down
to a 20GB partition if you haven't added a lot of app and/or data files
to the basic installation. (Yes, I meant "clone", not "image file".) Then
say goodbye to MediaDirect and delete all the partitions. Then, using
a pre-Vista partition editor such as Gparted - either from live CD
or from live USB stick like I do - create all the partitions you need.
Then re-clone the cloned Vista back to its new partition, letting it take
up all the space in the new partition. Don't re-install MediaDirect - it
will only screw up your disk again, and don't use Vista to do any
partition editing - Vista will be just as happy using a pre-Vista partition
as it would with a Vista partition. Then use the Vista installation CD's
Repair Console's Command Prompt to run "bootrec /fixmbr" to restore
the standard Microsoft MBR. Also run "bootrec /rebuildbcd" to fix
up the BCD store to accomodate Vista's new location. You might
also have to run "bootrec /fixboot", but I didn't. Your hard drive will
then contain standard partitions that can be edited and used by a
universe of utilities and you won't have a mish-mash of hybridized
partitions to deal with.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 10th 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Doughnut[_2_]

Dell uses Imagex as a tool for imaging its hard drive, to get it back you
could try downloading the developers pack and getting "imagex" application
from it and put it on a memory stick. Boot off a live cd (bartpe cd) and
use a command prompt and get to the directory imagex is in and type without
the quotes

imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

if your directory structure on the restore partition "drive d" is as mine
then this should restore your pc to factory image.

hope that helped.

Doughnut

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
m...

Old July 13th 08, 02:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
BillW50

In ,
Doughnut typed on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:19:14 +0100:
... Boot off a live cd (bartpe cd) and use a command prompt and get to the
directory imagex is in and type without the quotes...

I use BartPE, but I have never seen a command prompt there. How do you get
there? Through the Task Manager (I don't even know if BartPE has the Task
Manager)? Plus I would love to have BartPE on an USB flash drive. As it
would be very handy for this Asus EEE PC for one.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 4GB SSD 2GB SODIMM

Old July 15th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I'm coming into this thread late (system problems), but I believe Dan's
fixes are only for XP machines.