dell factory restore

Old April 24th 08, 12:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff

Default dell factory restore

My system :
Dell inspiron 1720 laptop, vista
Can I partition my hard drive and retain the dell factory restore
feature ????

Old April 24th 08, 01:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Jeff" wrote in message
My system :
Dell inspiron 1720 laptop, vista
Can I partition my hard drive and retain the dell factory restore
feature ????

The short answer is "yes", provided you leave both the (small) utility
partition and the image partition intact w/o changing their properties.

There are probably a few ways to do this, and I've not done it myself.

If you alter or remove either partition there's a risk of killing that
function.

Old April 25th 08, 02:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:03:22 GMT, Jeff wrote:

My system :
Dell inspiron 1720 laptop, vista
Can I partition my hard drive and retain the dell factory restore
feature ????

Google dsrfix.
You will need this program and the info about the Dell recovery
partition.

Art

Old April 25th 08, 10:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff

canThu, 24 Apr 2008 07:48:57 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

My system :
Dell inspiron 1720 laptop, vista
Can I partition my hard drive and retain the dell factory restore
feature ????

The short answer is "yes", provided you leave both the (small) utility
partition and the image partition intact w/o changing their properties.

There are probably a few ways to do this, and I've not done it myself.

If you alter or remove either partition there's a risk of killing that
function.

can you please explain how to do this
jeff
Old April 25th 08, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote:

My system :
Dell inspiron 1720 laptop, vista
Can I partition my hard drive and retain the dell factory restore
feature ????

The short answer is "yes", provided you leave both the (small) utility
partition and the image partition intact w/o changing their properties.

There are probably a few ways to do this, and I've not done it myself.

If you alter or remove either partition there's a risk of killing that
function.

can you please explain how to do this
jeff

Read:
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm

Old April 26th 08, 12:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:32:45 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote:
"S.Lewis" wrote:

My system :
Dell inspiron 1720 laptop, vista
Can I partition my hard drive and retain the dell factory restore
feature ????

The short answer is "yes", provided you leave both the (small) utility
partition and the image partition intact w/o changing their properties.

There are probably a few ways to do this, and I've not done it myself.

If you alter or remove either partition there's a risk of killing that
function.

can you please explain how to do this
jeff

From reading numerous Web pages (including Goodell's treatise),
the safest way to do this is to use Vista's Disk Management to shrink
the Vista partition from the tail end, leaving its BCD file and loader
intact at the head end. You should be able to shrink it by about 50%.
Then use Vista's Disk Management to create new partitions (perhaps
an Extended partition) in the unallocated free space. Be aware, though,
that if you invoke the Restore function, you will not only lose files that
you may have added to the Vista partition, you will also lose the added
partitions, as the Restore function restores the original partition table
as well. (That last bit from a Dell tech rep.)

*TimDaniels*

See where you are coming from Tim.
When I responded and said DSRFix I had completely skipped the fact
that the OP had Vista so DSRFix has no bearing on the problem.
I know the restore (rules/partition) have changed completely with
Vista so I will bow out as don't fully understand the ramifications of
the change.