ati x1650 pro

Old December 28th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
prdtr

Default ati x1650 pro

I just picked up an X1650 pro at FutureShop today. My goal was to breath a
little life into my AGP based system. My old card was Nvidia FX 5900 XT,
and found it getting slow at the newer games...I also used the S video input
on the old card to watch the dish via nvida capture driver. My hangup is
that my new card is little faster the the old card, yeah! but to my dismay
it don't look like it supports S video input?? bummer.... Can anyone shed
a little light on this.... I thought this feature was standard issue on all
cards, Nvidia based cards always have had it...

Prdtr

Old December 28th 06, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"prdtr" wrote in message ...
I just picked up an X1650 pro at FutureShop today. My goal was to breath a
little life into my AGP based system. My old card was Nvidia FX 5900 XT,
and found it getting slow at the newer games...I also used the S video input
on the old card to watch the dish via nvida capture driver. My hangup is
that my new card is little faster the the old card, yeah! but to my dismay
it don't look like it supports S video input?? bummer.... Can anyone shed
a little light on this.... I thought this feature was standard issue on all
cards, Nvidia based cards always have had it...

Huh? That's a video output port, not input.

Old December 28th 06, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

How many pins does the "S-Video" port have on the back of your X1650 Pro? If
it has four pins, then it's output-only. If it has nine pins, it is a VIVO
port with capture capability.

I'm surprised the X1650 actually turned out to be a little faster than your
FX 5900 XT. Should have gone for something like this for a meaningful speed
improvement: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20526

Old December 28th 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
prdtr

it has 9 pins... sounds like we're getting somewhere... Where do I get the
capture driver, and is there something missing hardware wise,, dongle
perhaps?

Old December 28th 06, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

The WDM capture driver can be downloaded by itself he
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonxip-xp.html . However, it should
have been included if you downloaded the 35 MB Catalyst driver package
previously.

Note that's just the driver. You will still need a WDM-compliant app to
capture the video. You are free to use whatever app you want (like Adobe
Premiere). A basic open-source app is Virtual VCR:
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ .

The dongle cable is available he
http://shopati.ca/product.asp?sku=2702995 . I'm surprised if it wasn't
included in the box, though.

Old December 28th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
prdtr

thanks, you been a huge help, I didn't get the dongle you showed on the
link, however I have the MSI dongle from the old card, it should do the same
thing vid in/out for both S and composite.

the proggie i been using to watch the dish is called KMplayer, it is open
sourse aswell. It worked marvellously with the 5900XT, you simply chose the
driver from within the app and your up and running... should there be any
hardware detection happening when you install the dongle like the nvidia
card?

Old December 28th 06, 10:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Armando

prdtr ha scritto:
[CUT]
I thought this feature was standard issue on all
cards, Nvidia based cards always have had it...

Prdtr

Hi,

I think there are different versions, VIVO and not.
I may be wrong but probably non VIVO ones have a missing chip.
I also think the rear S-Video connector has more than 4 pins simply
because of the component video out... So no video input. :-(

Armando
Old December 28th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Before I get your hopes up too high...

As Armando pointed out, it seems ATi also produces a component video cable
with the same 9-pin connection, as shown he
http://shopati.ca/product.asp?sku=2766464 and in page 106 of the X1600
series user's guide: http://www2.ati.com/manuals/rv530_radeonx1600.pdf . In
fact, this cable may be included in the box.

Since you already have an MSI VIVO dongle, it doesn't hurt to try it first,
but don't be surprised if VIVO doesn't work...

Old December 28th 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
prdtr

I thank everyone for their efforts, the card went back this morning for a
refund. It just wasn't worth the time and money spent for something that
doesn't suit my needs. I guess I'll hold off until I can spring for a new
PCIe platform...

PrDtR

"prdtr" wrote in message
I just picked up an X1650 pro at FutureShop today. My goal was to breath
a little life into my AGP based system. My old card was Nvidia FX 5900 XT,
and found it getting slow at the newer games...I also used the S video
input on the old card to watch the dish via nvida capture driver. My
hangup is that my new card is little faster the the old card, yeah! but
to my dismay it don't look like it supports S video input?? bummer....
Can anyone shed a little light on this.... I thought this feature was
standard issue on all cards, Nvidia based cards always have had it...

Prdtr

Suggested fan speed settings for X1650 Pro Armando Ati Videocards 4 December 19th 06 01:54 AM
Problem with ATI X1650, X1950 and OCX I wrote GuyWithDogs Ati Videocards 0 December 6th 06 05:16 AM
x1650 agp Chobin Ati Videocards 1 November 23rd 06 01:54 PM
In Need Of Some Geeky Techy help!! peteec Ati Videocards 7 November 20th 06 03:30 PM