Did I get what I paid for?

Old April 7th 04, 08:10 AM
Sune Storgaard

Sean Berry mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
ypNcc.4561$Wo6.2749@fed1read03

Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but I figured someone
could help.

In your case i would try post in an UNDERCLOCKING group

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer
store yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just
for kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to
properties it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

My guess is that the above speed is achieved by 100(fsb)*15 (multiplier)

If you change fsb to 133, you will get: 133*15= 1995 = desired speed.

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

You cant rely on that, if you change the speed of it, it will also change
name of it.

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

No but you do need to set fsb straight , calm down

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Try check again with wcpuid if im right about the 100 *15vs 133*15, its a
classic mistake. Often you need to move a jumper on the mother board. Check
with the manual whether it supports such cpu, and how to change fsb.

Old April 7th 04, 08:13 AM
Eric Parker

"Sean Berry" wrote in message
Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but I figured someone could
help.

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Sean

It's running at the wrong FSB frequency (100 MHz).
That CPU has a default multiplier of *15 which gives you 1500 MHz (~1.49
GHz).
In your bios you may be able to switch the FSB to 133 MHz, which will
give you 2000 MHz for the internal frequency and an AMD figure of XP 2400+.
Its probably worth running prime95 for 24 hours if you are pushing your
components
to give you confidence about reliability.
I've actually got my XP 2400+ to run at 2100 MHz through the bios (others
have
managed to get them higher).

eric
--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old April 7th 04, 09:26 AM
QBall

Yeah, you shoulda loaded opt. defaults in bios, when you rebooted.
Were you running a 100FSB chip before ?
But WCPU-ID will only show what it reads from BIOS.
For instance, it shows my mobile Barton 2400+ (default speed - 1.8 GHz : 13
x 133) as a 2.58 GHz chip because it's running at 10.5 x 246 on my DFI
Infinity (air-cooled).
CPU Brain shows that if AMD made a chip which ran at a default of 2.58 GHz,
it would be an XP 4000+

Old April 7th 04, 12:56 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Sean Berry" wrote in message
Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but I figured someone could
help.

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

All the previous answers offer good advice, *if* you have a motherboard that
supports 133MHz FSB (some older Socket A motherboards don't) and your memory
is capable of running at 133MHz (266 DDR).
So, post back with motherboard make/model/chipset if the board is older, and
confirm that you are running PC2100 memory, minimum. You'll also want to
check your motherboard manual to see if it has a jumper for setting FSB.

Old April 7th 04, 06:58 PM
Sean Berry

I have an MSI K7N2 Delta Board.

It was indeed the jumper which had two options for settings, 133 or 100.
When I changed the jumper, I lost my video.
I changed back and entered the BIOS and changed it manually in the BIOS to
133 then shutdown, changed the jumper, and all is good now.

Thanks very much to all of you who pointed out my seemingly obvious mistake.

I only took one course in school to do with ECE so I do not know hardware
all that well.
When I enter the BIOS I have the option to set the FSB to 100, 133, 166, or
200. Is setting it higher than 133 overclocking?

Thanks.

Old April 7th 04, 06:59 PM
Geoff

Sean Berry wrote:
Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but I figured someone
could help.

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer
store yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just
for kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to
properties it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

set your FSB to 133, it's running at 100

Old April 7th 04, 09:18 PM
iTsMeMa

Setting it past 133 is definitely overclocking.
Were you to simply set the bios to166 and not change the multi, I doubt it
would even boot. XP2400s typically don't do well above about 2300, excepting
with voltage modifications and extreme cooling. They come designed to run at
15 (multi) x 133fsb
This being a new experience for you, the world is your oyster. Just remember
in any and all overclocking attempts to err on the side of sanity and always
watch temps.

Regards,

Garry

Old April 14th 04, 12:04 AM
Piotr Makley

"Sune Storgaard" wrote:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

My guess is that the above speed is achieved by 100(fsb)*15
(multiplier)

If you change fsb to 133, you will get: 133*15= 1995 = desired
speed.

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

You cant rely on that, if you change the speed of it, it will
also change name of it.

Can't he identify the chip from one of these?

picture = http://tinyurl.com/3fjlf
reported by OS = http://tinyurl.com/3fjlf
AMD model numbers document = http://snipurl.com/5oyw
extract from above = http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html