Cleaning all data of off a hard drive

Old July 20th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Leigh

Default Cleaning all data of off a hard drive

Greetings,

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 CL. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK6015MA 4GB. I
have looked on the Toshiba website for a tool or software that I can
download that I can use to wipe all of the data off of the hard drive. I
could not find the software.

Sure I can us the Windows XP disk to do a clean install however that will
not totally clean the hard drive of a data. I would like the hard drive to
be clean of data and then do a clean install of Windows XP.

Does any one know where I can find and download software to be able to clean
the Toshiba HD?

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Leigh

Old July 21st 06, 12:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

on 7/20/2006, Leigh supposed :
Greetings,

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 CL. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK6015MA 4GB. I
have looked on the Toshiba website for a tool or software that I can download
that I can use to wipe all of the data off of the hard drive. I could not
find the software.

Sure I can us the Windows XP disk to do a clean install however that will not
totally clean the hard drive of a data. I would like the hard drive to be
clean of data and then do a clean install of Windows XP.

Does any one know where I can find and download software to be able to clean
the Toshiba HD?

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Leigh

I believe Eracer is free... Or it was free!
www.heidi.ie/eraser/

But the hard drive manufacture should have a low level formate for
consumers to use, send them an e-mail...

Let us know...
If you find the right solution for your compfort level...

JR the postman

Old July 21st 06, 12:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Justin Thompson

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:23:21 GMT, "Leigh" wrote:

Greetings,

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 CL. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK6015MA 4GB. I
have looked on the Toshiba website for a tool or software that I can
download that I can use to wipe all of the data off of the hard drive. I
could not find the software.

Sure I can us the Windows XP disk to do a clean install however that will
not totally clean the hard drive of a data. I would like the hard drive to
be clean of data and then do a clean install of Windows XP.

Does any one know where I can find and download software to be able to clean
the Toshiba HD?

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Leigh

Remember - google is your friend - 2 second search - what about this?

http://download3000.com/download_14960.html

Cheers
Old July 21st 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

No, a low-level format is overkill. One uses a low-level format to reallocate
bad sectors to spare sectors, and/or to rewrite all the sector headers.

Anyway, Toshiba supplies absolutely nothing in the way of diagnostic software
for its drives, a good reason not to buy Toshiba drives..

I think I would use Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test (DFT), run diagnostics on the
drive, then run its option to wipe all the sectors on the drive. Hitachi (and
IBM before it) is nice enough to provide a vendor-agnostic DFT that does not
care which brand of drive is being diagnosed.

.... Ben Myers

Old July 21st 06, 04:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Leigh

Ben,

Thanks very much. The tests ran successfully. However, I could not erase the
hard drive. The dialog box said I have a Non HGST Hard Drive Disk and the
Utility will only work on HGST Hard Drive Disks.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Leigh

Old July 21st 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Well, at least you know that the drive is not defective. I forgot that zeroing
out the drive works only on Hitachi/IBM drives.

Do a Google search for autoclave, which overwrites any IDE drive, and, for the
really paranoid, overwrites many times with various bit patterns, claiming to be
DOD secure... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:14:26 GMT, "Leigh" wrote:

Ben,

Thanks very much. The tests ran successfully. However, I could not erase the
hard drive. The dialog box said I have a Non HGST Hard Drive Disk and the
Utility will only work on HGST Hard Drive Disks.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Leigh

.. .

Old July 21st 06, 02:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Muddle

"Leigh" wrote in message
Greetings,

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 CL. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK6015MA 4GB. I
have looked on the Toshiba website for a tool or software that I can
download that I can use to wipe all of the data off of the hard drive. I
could not find the software.

Sure I can us the Windows XP disk to do a clean install however that will
not totally clean the hard drive of a data. I would like the hard drive to
be clean of data and then do a clean install of Windows XP.

Does any one know where I can find and download software to be able to

clean
the Toshiba HD?

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Leigh

Darik's Boot and Nuke.
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Old July 21st 06, 05:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Leigh

"Muddle" wrote in message
.net...

"Leigh" wrote in message
Greetings,

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 CL. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK6015MA 4GB.
have looked on the Toshiba website for a tool or software that I can
download that I can use to wipe all of the data off of the hard drive. I
could not find the software.

Sure I can us the Windows XP disk to do a clean install however that will
not totally clean the hard drive of a data. I would like the hard drive
be clean of data and then do a clean install of Windows XP.

Does any one know where I can find and download software to be able to

clean
the Toshiba HD?

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Leigh

Darik's Boot and Nuke.
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Thanks Muddle,

The floppy version was 1.53MB and my floppies can only hold 1.4MB. For some
reason I could not open the CD version. My computer could not find the
program that created it.

I will keep trying to figure this out.

Thanks again Muddle,

Leigh

Old July 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

The CD version of Darik's Boot & Nuke is an ISO format file. To do something
with it, you need a CD burning program capable of burning an ISO image. Once
the ISO image is burned properly to a CD, it will be bootable and it will start
up and load DBAN automatically.

Autoclave fits neatly onto a bootable floppy... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:08:13 GMT, "Leigh" wrote:

"Muddle" wrote in message
y.net...