Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

Old December 22nd 09, 03:31 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
THEO@TO.

Default Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:07:05 -0500, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

To confirm your problem that was posted he
you wanted to save a picture from a webpage, so you " used to"
right-click/copy the picture, then PASTE into wordpad. Right ?
That's all I was trying to help you with.

I can still do it that way, but can't open old ones that I used
to be able to open.

If you have problems with "RTF files" ( wordpad documents) that's a whole
'nother topic.
So don't conFUSE me !

Is the "picture thing" OK ?

Now I can't open .jpgs as I used to be able to do. I can open
LView and make a .jpg, but can't open it after it's made. I can
copy and paste an image into wordpad and open that, but can no
longer open older wordpad docs I made before whatever happened
happened, and can no longer open .jpgs. Now when I try to open
..jpgs which I used to be able to do, I get the message:

.. . .jpg is not a valid Win32 application

As for "the old wordpad documents", what are their file extensions ? Are
they PICTURES or TEXT ?

They are wordpad documents with pictures pasted into them. There
is also plenty of text as well as the pictures, which is one
reason I like using wordpad. That and because it should be "easy"
to open wordpad docs on any pc. So they are wordpad documents
with both pictures and text. Their extension is .doc though I
have made copies of some and changed them to .rtf to see if that
would work, and it did nothing.

HAD you saved them with "filename.RTF" extension ?

No. They were .docs and they used to work fine, then after they
quit working all of a sudden I tried making copies and changing
the to .rtfs.....

And you COULD read them before - but not now ?

Absolutely.

copy one - open it on another PC - does it open / look ok there ?
This should become a new thread.

I've tried opening them on later model computers and got a
message like: can not open word for windows ... documents, or
something like that. They are and always have been wordpad
documents.
Old December 22nd 09, 11:20 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

the message:
". . .jpg is not a valid Win32 application "

That's true - jpg is NOT an application .

Tells me that YOU have associated filetype of .jpg with a PROGRAM called "
jpg "
THAT is WRONG , the Filename should be ... 'MSpaint.exe ', 'Windows Picture
viewer ', some PROGRAM.
SO:

#1 Go to another PC that works normally and check filetype
..jpg
and
..doc
and compare the 2 pc's - that's your problem.

..jpg files OK now ?

Yes = continue
No = go to step #1

I've tried opening them on later model computers and got a
message like: can not open word for windows ... documents, or
something like that. They are and always have been wordpad
documents.

The later PC has an association between .doc and WORD aka 'Microsoft word
for windows' ( the default for .doc files for years)

I still do not know: so tell me - yes or no - ALL of these .doc files that
don't work now - are they all PICTURES ?

If in fact the version of wordpad that you used was specific to Windows 98
( for example) , AND you deleted it from the PC, can you put on a floppy and
try one on a Win98 pc ?

That's enough for now.
Try it and let us know.
==================

wrote:

To confirm your problem that was posted he
you wanted to save a picture from a webpage, so you " used to"
right-click/copy the picture, then PASTE into wordpad. Right ?
That's all I was trying to help you with.

I can still do it that way, but can't open old ones that I used
to be able to open.

====
Sorry, but I'm gonna ask specifc questions that need specific answers from
here on: so ONLY answer the question - exactly OK ? Until now you have gone
into "file types area with look at what program opens etc, so

Your problems ONLY relate now to file with extension of .doc ?

Has office ever been installed on this PC? ( MS Office associates .doc with
WORD so if Office WAS on there and then removed you'd get a

I think you know but the file EXTENSION determeines which prgram opens the
file. By defualt Windows comes with certain defaults. Seems to me that you
have chnaged Windows defualt settings to "something else" in the past and
are going down a rathole. So, forget that doc USED to work for now. As a
review, whether it is ".doc" or ".xyz" all that happens is that Windows goes
to a table to see " what file do I use to open this filetype? ". If it did
NOT do that every time you try to use a file it would ask " what file do I
use to open this file? "

So you USED to have doc associated with SOME program. IF that program was
removed / deleted from your PC, it needs to get reinstalled. If you're with
me so far:

Now that .jpg is fixed ....

When you look at filetypes, do you now only have one listing for .doc ?

What program is the default program opened ?

when you look at details, is there a CHANGE box on that screen ? If so click
it and look at alternative programs. What programs are listed ?

Check jpg file extension - what is defualt ? Do you remember what is USED
to be - is that program available when you clikc CHANGE

#1 Go to another PC that works normally and check filetype
.jpg
and
.doc
and compare the 2 pc's - that's your problem.

.jpg files OK now ?

On this computer in File Types it says they should open with
LView, but they don't have an LView icon. Instead they have a
Netscape icon of some sort.

I can open LView and then open .jpgs and .jpegs from there, but I
can't select Open With and then select LView and get them to open
that way. Trying it that way just brings up the ". . .jpg is not
a valid Win32 application " message.

Yes = continue
No = go to step #1

I've tried opening them on later model computers and got a
message like: can not open word for windows ... documents, or
something like that. They are and always have been wordpad
documents.

The later PC has an association between .doc and WORD aka 'Microsoft word
for windows' ( the default for .doc files for years)

I still do not know: so tell me - yes or no - ALL of these .doc files that
don't work now - are they all PICTURES ?

Not all of them have pictures, but most do. Now I've learned that
I can open one of the screwed up docs, paste a .jpg into it and
save it, and when I re-open it there's the screwed up mess AND
the new .jpg I pasted in.

If in fact the version of wordpad that you used was specific to Windows 98

So does each version of Windows have a different version of
wordpad that doesn't work well with different versions of
Windows? If they did that why wouldn't they at least make it so
newer versions can read things made with older versions, even
though they couldn't go back in time to make older versions able
to read things made with newer versions?

Old December 24th 09, 12:50 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

I've never used/heard of LView, SO

go into LView and choose HELP

You might find to open a pictur standalone you have to type soemthing
special
like " LView.exe / openwithxxxx".

For the time being - make it so the default for JPG is , picture viewer,
paint, etc so you can at least work with /view jpgs.

right click a JPG file
"open with " select CHOOSE PROGRAM
select the program you want, check the ALWAYS USE box and be done with it

do NOT use Lview for automating anything until you find out if you CAN.

"

Old December 24th 09, 01:13 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

Also,
it's been such a long time ago that this thread started with WordPad /"
..doc" questions.

How about considering this thread closed and if jpg questions, start a new
one.
As for what happened to your wordpad - I even forget the deatils - you said
you copied it from an old PC ?

I think what happened to you was some update saw .doc files and ran an
update related to WORD and it messed with your registry - changing your OLD
references to wordpad.

Ask someone locally who can sit in front of the PC to take a look. It's too
tedious for us to explain every click and for you to answer every click .
Someone sitting there can probably figure it out in 5 minutes whereas doing
it they way we've tried ... 'something gets overlooked/not mentioned , and
go down a rathole.