Is it worth the money? XP2100 overclocked already at 2.187 and new Bartons locked

Old November 8th 03, 12:14 AM
Mickey

Default Is it worth the money? XP2100 overclocked already at 2.187 and new Bartons locked

I see the new Bartons are locked according to a prior thread. So how much
would I gain by switching to a Barton XP2500 that is not locked ? I am going
to be switching to water cooling and pushing my current XP2100 that was a
derated xp2600 even further. I am making the switch for silent computing the
OC ability is just a big plus. I now have it running at 2.187 on air cooling
at 1.70 volts. I figure as long as I can keep it cool I should be able to
reach 2.3 or 2.4 Ghtz using water. So what is the Barton XP2500 running for
an average overclock with a water cooling system?

Old November 8th 03, 07:55 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:14:57 -0600, Mickey wrote:

I see the new Bartons are locked according to a prior thread.

I think this is still up in the air. I've seen no confirmation of this,
The only thing I've seen here so far is that a recent (0340) 2500+ was not
locked.

So how much would I gain by switching to a Barton XP2500 that is not
locked ?

Nothing. You can still up the FSB, or even change the default multiplier.

I am going to be switching to water cooling and pushing my current
XP2100 that was a derated xp2600 even further.

Ahh, just another myth.

Old November 9th 03, 06:14 PM
dr_hardware

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:14:57 -0600, Mickey wrote:

I see the new Bartons are locked according to a prior thread.

I think this is still up in the air. I've seen no confirmation of this,
The only thing I've seen here so far is that a recent (0340) 2500+ was not
locked.

It may be true as this is showing up in other places as well:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles868/