Canon i850 cd printer adapter?

Old September 9th 03, 05:58 PM
RandyK

Default Canon i850 cd printer adapter?

Hello all,

I recently emailed canon about this adapter that is available in Japan
as the pixus 850i. Does anybody have any info on this thing? The
response I got from canon was that it is not currently supported:

Thank you for writing to us.

Unfortunately, the Canon USA i850 does not support the direct to CDR
printing adapter. Since this model does not support this feature, we
do
not sell this adapter. I apologize greatly for any inconvenience this
may cause.

Sincerely,

Angela
Product Support Representative

What this doesn't say is if it works at all. I want to know if I
import an adapter from Japan, can it be used in the american model? It
doesn't look like there is anything different internally. It looks
like all the gears and such are on the outside, on the adapter itself.

Anyway, any and all info on this would be much appreciated by me and
the many others who bought a i850.

Thanks.

-RandyK
www.mp3.com/RandyK
Old September 17th 03, 07:11 AM
CorSec

Hi

I am in the uk and have the i850 printer. I would also like to print
directly to CDR media with the i850 but I have the same problem as you, I
just can`t find any info on this adaptor except through the Japaneese
website.
I have noticed just where the paper comes out that there are recesses for
adding an externat component and that the print bed is sprung to take very
thick peices of media. So I am sure that these printers can handle the
adaptor. But even if you could get one what about the drivers?
I have e-mailed Canon european support but still waiting on a reply.
Anyway if you find out any more info or where you can get them imported etc.
Could you e-mail me at corsec1@ REMOVE THIS PART hotmail.com

Thanks

om...

Old September 17th 03, 12:19 PM
RandyK

Thanks CorSec,

I also think the adapter will work in the printer. As for drivers, I
don't think it needs them. Don't you think it would print on anything
that was printable if no paper was available? Just a guess. I dunno.

If I find anything out, I'll post here. It's pretty frustating, having
to buy another whole printer (Epson 900) just because the adapter
isn't available. I haven't bought the epson yet, but I'm thinking
about it.

Jugding from the lack of response, I'm surprised more people don't
care about this adapter, considering how many people own the Canon
i850.

-RandyK
www.mp3.com/RandyK
Old September 17th 03, 11:50 PM
GB

I decided to sell my i850 and order the i865. For the small upgrade cost,
you get to stick with Canon and all its advantages, and also print to CD
(unless you live in the States).

Old September 18th 03, 11:50 PM
RandyK

I live in the States. Which leads me to my next thing..........

Please....somebody!.........anywhere in the world........within the
reach of this posting....contact me! so you can Send me the cdr
adapter for the Canon i850.......YOU! Japan!.... Somebody!......Email
me!

I know it will work..... I cannot for the life of me figure out why it
doesn't come with the Canon.

Man.....I can't believe it's come to this.....

Frustrated like a mofo,

RandyK
www.mp3.com/RandyK
Old September 20th 03, 06:20 PM
Charlie

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:05:51 -0400, Bill wrote:

RandyK wrote:

I live in the States. Which leads me to my next thing..........

Please....somebody!.........anywhere in the world........within the
reach of this posting....contact me! so you can Send me the cdr
adapter for the Canon i850.......YOU! Japan!.... Somebody!......Email
me!

I know it will work.....

Are you SURE the printer driver will allow the i850 to feed the CD in
from the front? (there are no settings for CD media)

If not, the adaptor won't work.

It seems to me that until someone actually tries it, we can't know for
sure. For example, do we know that the CD prints from the front? That
is, perhaps the tray is set up so that the CD is inserted, the tray
moved to the "in" position, and then the printer activated for
printing, and then prints the CD like it would a sheet of photo paper,
back to front.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid
Old September 22nd 03, 04:50 PM
RandyK

I would be more than willing to try it on behalf of all who want to
know. If someone could give me a connection to obtain the adapter, I
will do all the necessary legwork, and post my results to this
newsgroup. Thanks.

-RandyK
www.mp3.com/RandyK
Old September 22nd 03, 09:56 PM
nine

I've tried it in the US i950 with japanese drivers, and it wouldn't
work (firmware lockout?). You will probably be wasting your energy
trying to get it to work on the i850.

nine