How Do I Remove Junk On Comap Presario...

Old December 18th 04, 08:30 PM

Default How Do I Remove Junk On Comap Presario...

Models 9660 and 5070...to free up much needed space.

What are the files/programs/etc. including AOL/Quicken/etc, to remove
and how do I do this in a safe manner as I have removed items before
and the compaq system gets all screwed up? What is the suggested
procedures?

And I won't even begin to discuss or ask about the "quick recovery"
disk/s!!!

Thank you in advance,
John

Old December 19th 04, 02:13 AM
Ben Myers

Rather than reformatting and reinstalling Windows, click the Add/Remove Programs
icon in Control Panel. Assuming that the programs themselves are not messed up,
this will remove the programs pretty cleanly, tho not perfectly. You may want
to follow up with a good Windows registry cleaner-upper, either commercial
product or freeware. Also do a Disk Cleanup, followed by the Disk
Defragmenter... Ben Myers

Old December 19th 04, 03:47 AM
Jester6

If you will provide a complete list of all the programs in your Add or
Remove Programs list, you can probably get some good advice here...
--
Jester6

ups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 05:31 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions but on the 9660 I deleted some items
and now all the programs do not show up in add/remove.

Somewhere I read i should format with c:\format/s but have also read
that then I have to supposedly reinstall some drivers from compaq and
they will not fit on a diskette (1.44. mg.) and I have no idea how or
what to do with either the 9660 or the 5070.

On the 9660 someone also installed a 56k modem and I had a hell of a
time trying to get it to recognise it but somehow i managed to find
enough drivers and it seemed to accept one of them and now works. If i
format the entire drive/s I am afraid I will lose the fucntionality of
all the items that need drivers.

I certainly would like to see someone write a book on how to overcome
the "compaq challenge", to elimminate the junk they put on as well as
having the only option of quick restore which does not always do what
compaq claims, and they would certainly become an instant millionaire!
I have been reading the newsgroups for years and it is unbelieveable
how many people suffer from the problems compaq have created for the
end user/s. I also have written/ e-mailed/ and talked on the telephone
so many times I finally gave up due to the frustration incvolved and no
results whatsoever.

I am not computer literate but can follow directions if they are very
specifically written on what to do. Can anyone guide me through this
nightmare on each of the presario's I unfortunately purchased?
Thank you again for all the replies thus far,
John