What is backweb used for?

Old June 19th 04, 04:15 AM
n.heyen

Default What is backweb used for?

On my S6900NX, there is a blue square a couple of pixels in each direction,
dead center in the screen.

Killing the process Backweb removes it, so I'm going out on a limb here and
saying the two are related...

What is Backweb used for, this is a pretty new PC, so I'm guessing it is
tied to something pre-installed. In terms of a spyware, it seems fairly
benign. But is there a way to move the blue square? If it were an LCD, I'd
send it back. Yes, it is more annoying than the Sony horizontal lines.

Compaq? Hp? Anyone out there listening to your customers?

Any help is appreciated.

Norman

Old June 19th 04, 11:43 AM
HH

Backweb is a redundant method of obtaining driver updates. Any update worth
installing will be on Microsoft's Windows Update service. Uninstall Backweb
via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs or stop it from loading by running
msconfig and unchecking the box for Backweb Agent..
I've never been a proponent of automatic updates in any form. Do it manually
on a regular basis and keep the "snoopware" from running in the background.
If you think this version of Backweb is a pain, you should have seen the
first version, which was a major resource leak under Windows 98SE/Me.
HH