Compaq Deskpro pentium 1 - 200. 200gb HDD?

Old April 29th 04, 12:35 PM
Stevie_mac

Default Compaq Deskpro pentium 1 - 200. 200gb HDD?

Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro? Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!

*** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
Compaq Deskpro
DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
8814BK670587

Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
like to keep it!

PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean like, you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
network.

Old April 29th 04, 09:12 PM
HH

Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and probably a
lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than 8GB.
HH

news

Old April 29th 04, 09:17 PM
Stevie_mac

Isn't
Compaq Deskpro
DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
8814BK670587

Enough Info?

I'm not entirely sure but I assumed the first alphanumeric line was the model & the 2nd the serial number!

DP2000 = Deskpro 2000 perhaps?
5200MMX = Intel CPU Model 5 (Pentium 1), 200MMX
2100UK = ?????
(not that good with Compaq - Like Packard bell, I've seen the same model with different innards!)

Does this help?

"HH" wrote in message ...
Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and probably a
lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than 8GB.
HH

news

Old April 30th 04, 01:28 AM
Tom Scales

Could add a PCI IDE card. Probably not worth the investment.

"HH" wrote in message

Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and

probably
lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than

8GB.
HH

news Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro?

Old April 30th 04, 08:11 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

the answer to the model question has been beaten enough...

as to your other question, yes. there are PC-less servers (called
appliances) that are nothing but storage, and enough OS kernel to present
itself to the network as a Mac, Sun, Novell, MS, Linux server. Configure
with a browser, IP it, and plug it into the network.

Popular devices can be found under the heading of NAS (network attatched
storage). One of the most popular ones that comes to mind is the Quantum
SNAP server. You can get them with sizes up into the multi-terrabyte range.
They arent exactly cheap, but much less expensive that a SCSI or
Fibrechannel alternative.

HTH,

NuTs

"Stevie_mac" wrote in message
news
Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro?

Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!

*** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
Compaq Deskpro
DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
8814BK670587

Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no

monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
like to keep it!

PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean like,

you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
network.

problem adding memory to compaq deskpro en [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 4 February 11th 05 02:22 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 17th 04 11:03 AM
Can I upgrade my 1GHz Compaq Deskpro EN Intel 815e to something worthwhile Ziggy Compaq Computers 1 December 18th 03 08:40 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM