Hard disk update on presario 800 notebook (80xl4)

Old October 16th 03, 10:18 AM
Alessio Sangalli

Default Hard disk update on presario 800 notebook (80xl4)

Hi; I own a Presario 800 notebook (model number 80xl4).

Recently the original 20GB Hitachi drive began to have many broken
sectors; so I ordered a new 60GB Hitachi drive.

After having inserted it, I powered up the laptop but the BIOS stays
there forever to recognize IDE devices.

I've read on dejanews that I would need a BIOS update or whatever. A
friend of mine has the same laptop with a working hdd if it's needed for
some reasons.

Where can I download a BIOS update for my laptop? Anyone knows the
procedure better!??!

Thank you
Alessio Sangalli

Old October 16th 03, 07:01 PM
Michael Naven

Most Compaqs require that you put the jumpers on the rear of the new drive
in the "cable select" position, otherwise the computer won't see the new
drive. Then you have to install the operating system with the restore disk,
if you have the full restore disks. If you only have the recovery disks, D
drive is needed and that won't be on a blank drive, so it won't work. Full
restore disks are available from Compaq for a fee. Mike N

Old November 8th 03, 10:53 AM
Herminio2025

www.compaq.com
support
drivers, etc.
type your laptop model and look for softpacks in the case of bios it's called
rompacks. But before doing anything, even on laptops, there is a jumper on the
hard drive that should be set to cable select instead of master. If that fails,
try the rompack.