ATI Radeon 9600XT extending desktop (dual head) with two flat panel screens?

Old July 8th 04, 09:22 PM
Rik

Default ATI Radeon 9600XT extending desktop (dual head) with two flat panel screens?

Hello,

I recently bought a Sony Vaio RZ504 desktop computer that has the ATI Radeon
9600XT graphics card. I have two flatpanel monitors and would like to use
the second one to extend my primary's monitor desktop to(dual head). I now
have one monitor attached with DVI cable, and the other one with the VGA
cable, but now I see my desktop on both monitors. Before I bought my second
flat panel I was told by many people in forums and newsgroups that I simply
could use a DVI-VGA adapter to extend my desktop (dual head), so I went out
to buy one and it still didn't allow me to extend my desktop. I think the
adapter I bought was the wrong one (the DVI cable did fit, but it looked
like the adapter was the wrong one for my DVI-D cable). I went back to the
store and they told me that they didn't have another one and that there are
different types of DVI-D cables. They told me that I should look more into
the display properties but I see no option at all to extend my desktop. Now
I am wondering if is possible at all to extend my desktop from one flatpanel
to another, since it isn't mentioned on the properties pages. It did say
something about XP having the option to extend the desktop, but I cannot
find any further info on that. Wilt my Matrox card this was so easy to do,
but with this card it seems impossible? If it is possible, what adapter do I
need exactly?

In this review (http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/9600xt/index5.php) it says:
'There is a VGA (15 pin D-Sub), DVI and an S-Video (TV out). You can easily
run dual VGA monitors with this card, just by using a DVD-VGA adapter.' Did
they actually mean to type DVD-VGA adapter, or did they mean to type DVI-VGA
adapter? Should I be able to extend my desktop with a DVD-VGA adapter?

Here (http://www.svc.com/ati-r9600xt-rbx.html) I read:

'Display Support
VGA connector for analog CRT
S-video connector for TV / VCR 1
DVI-I connector for digital flat panel 2
Independent resolutions and refresh rates for any two connected displays
1 Optional S-Video to Composite Adapter available separately from ATI Online
Store.
2 Optional DVI to VGA adapter allows connection to a second VGA monitor.
Available separately from your retailer or the ATI Online Store.'

It doesn't say anything about two flat panel monitors. I'm not sure what
they mean with '2' in 'DVI-I connector for digital flat panel 2'.

If not, what are my other options? I don't see any use in connecting two
flat panel screens that display exactly the same desktop. Is there ANY way
to extend my desktop with two flat panel monitors? Or would it be possible
with a LCD television? Or would the television also display the same
desktop?

I'm very confused.. Hope someone can tell me more about this!

Cheers,

Rik.

Old July 8th 04, 10:52 PM
McGrandpa

You need to open up your display properties (control panel for ATI) and
have a look at two things first: Display Properties/Settings page,
shows you have two displays, right? Next, click on Advanced, then the
Displays tab. Somewhere in there you uncheck the option for CLONE
desktop. Now you can open something and drag it over to the second
monitor.
You can also download and try out UltraMon, a utility to give you just
the kinds of things you're looking for with two displays.
McG.

Old July 9th 04, 12:53 AM
Rik

Rik wrote:
[...]

I know what you mean but I don't have that option. All I can do is set a
monitor as primary. On the Overlay tab there is a button 'Clone Mode
Options', but that only allows me to change the Theatre Mode into 'Standard'
or 'Same on All'. None of the options extend my desktop :-(

I will look for UltraMon, but I figure that the graphic card has to support
it in order for it to work? And it looks like extending the desktop is not
an option.

Rik.

Old July 9th 04, 01:34 AM
Rik

You can also download and try out UltraMon, a utility to give you just
the kinds of things you're looking for with two displays.

Unfortunately UltraMon doesn't work for me either. After I installed it it
said it detected only 1 monitor, while both of my monitors were attached
(one in DVI and one in VGA). I read the help-files and it said that if you
get the 'only a single monitor detected'-error you need to change to
'independent displays mode'.. And that's the problem; I can't! :-(

Rik.

Old July 9th 04, 12:23 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

"Rik" wrote in message
ll.nl...
[...]

What version of the Catalyst drivers are you using? I don't have a problem
extending my desktop, and I have used two CRTs, a CRT and an LCD, and a CRT
and an HDTV...

I have seen it done many times with two LCDs as well.

Are you scrolling down and selecting the #2 display under "Display
Properties"/"Settings", and then selecting "Extend my Windows desktop onto
this monitor"? If this is the case then you should not have access to any
clone mode options...

Old July 9th 04, 01:19 PM
Rik

[...]

If I go to my Ati Radeon 9600 in Device Manager it says Driver Version
6.14.10.6396, but I don't see anything mentioned about Catalyst. Perhaps I
should look elsewhere?

If I right click on my desktop and go to properties, then go to Settings,
then I see only one image of a monitor and below it says Multiple Monitors
on ATI RADEON 9600 series. If I then click on Advanced and click the
Displays tab I see three images: a CRT monitor, a TV and a Flat Panel
monitor. Both the Monitor and FPD buttons are green (enabled). The FPD is
set as primary with the round icon (I learned that the round icon sets it as
primary from the help files). If I set the FPD as primary then the prima
icon for Monitor automatically switches to the Clone icon (so it clones the
primary screen to the second one). There is nowehere an option to 'Extend my

Old July 9th 04, 08:25 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

"Rik" wrote in message
ll.nl...
If I go to my Ati Radeon 9600 in Device Manager it says Driver Version
6.14.10.6396, but I don't see anything mentioned about Catalyst. Perhaps I
should look elsewhere?

This is the Catalyst version number for Catalyst driver version 3.9, the
latest Catalyst drivers available are 4.7...

www.ati.com

"Download latest CATALYST T for Windows XP (29MB) - Version 4.7"

If I right click on my desktop and go to properties, then go to Settings,
then I see only one image of a monitor and below it says Multiple Monitors
on ATI RADEON 9600 series. If I then click on Advanced and click the
Displays tab I see three images: a CRT monitor, a TV and a Flat Panel
monitor. Both the Monitor and FPD buttons are green (enabled). The FPD is
set as primary with the round icon (I learned that the round icon sets it

as
primary from the help files). If I set the FPD as primary then the prima
icon for Monitor automatically switches to the Clone icon (so it clones

the
primary screen to the second one). There is nowehere an option to 'Extend

my
Windows desktop onto this monitor'.

If you update to the latest Catalysts, then the instructions that I gave
should be correct. It has been so long since I used the 3.9 Catalysts that
I couldn't be of help there...

Download the Cat 4.7s, go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel and
remove the ATI Control panel ( don't reboot ) and then the ATI Display
Driver ( reboot ), Double-click the Cat 4.7 package and follow install
instructions. Choose "Express Installation"...

Old July 9th 04, 10:53 PM
Rik

"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" schreef in bericht
. ..
"Rik" wrote in message
ll.nl...
[...]

In Add/Remove Programs I have:

ATI software uninstall utility
ATI control panel
ATI display driver

You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to remove
that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one first, or?

Thanks,

Rik.

Old July 9th 04, 10:56 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

"Rik" wrote in message
l.nl...
In Add/Remove Programs I have:

ATI software uninstall utility
ATI control panel
ATI display driver

You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to

remove
that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one first, or?

I forgot about that one...

It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my ATI
DoubleCross demo...

Old July 10th 04, 01:55 AM
Rik

In Add/Remove Programs I have:

ATI software uninstall utility
ATI control panel
ATI display driver

You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to

remove
that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one first, or?

I forgot about that one...

It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my ATI
DoubleCross demo...

I installed the latest drivers and I can now extend my desktop!! I am sooo
happy with this! I have been working with an extended desktop for years and
would have hated to work with only one monitor on my new computer.

Someone told me that I should use HydraVision, but it's unclear to me if I
can use that with my graphics card. My card is not mentioned on this page:
http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/gloss.../products.html. It says
'The following ATI products feature HYDRAVISIONT: ', does that mean that it
is supported for those products, or that it just comes with those products?

I now have UltraMon installed. I'm not sure what the differences are between
HydraVision and UltraMon (except that HydraVision is free I think, and
UltraMon isn't).

Rik.