double sided DVDRs - a dumb question

Old January 23rd 05, 07:50 AM
Louise

Default double sided DVDRs - a dumb question

When you use a double sided DVD writer and double sided disks, do you
have to manually turn the disk over to write on the second side or is
the writer somehow designed to be able to just go from side one to side
two by itself?

TIA

Louise
Old January 23rd 05, 12:29 PM
Larc

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:50:49 GMT, Louise wrote:

| When you use a double sided DVD writer and double sided disks, do you
| have to manually turn the disk over to write on the second side or is
| the writer somehow designed to be able to just go from side one to side
| two by itself?

I'm not sure about your question, but I'll take the chance you're
talking about dual layer DVDs since I'm not aware of the existence of
consumer burners for double-side DVDs.

Both layers are on the same side of dual layer DVDs. The first pass
burns the upper layer and the second pass burns the lower layer
(that's based on layer positions with the DVD turned label side up).
This dual layer arrangement effectively doubles the amount of data
that can be burned to a DVD.

Unfortunately, dual-layer blanks are still expensive enough to be
prohibitive for most consumer general use.

Larc

Old January 23rd 05, 12:29 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:50:49 GMT, Louise wrote:

When you use a double sided DVD writer and double sided disks, do you
have to manually turn the disk over to write on the second side or is
the writer somehow designed to be able to just go from side one to side
two by itself?

TIA

Louise

You have to turn it over.
You are talking about the double sided disks and not the dual or
double layer right?
Old January 23rd 05, 08:38 PM
Mike Richter

Louise wrote:

I mis-spoke, I did meant "dual layer" except I didn't understand they
were layers.....now I do. My question is answered.

It may be noting with respect to what you asked: there are double-sided
discs in the DVD+RAM format. Those need to be turned over to be recorded
on the second side. In fact, the players I know require manuaal turnover
as well.

The only players of optical discs I've seen that flip for you are for
LaserDiscs.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 29th 05, 01:16 AM
Jens Fangmeier

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:29:23 GMT, Larc
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:50:49 GMT, Louise wrote:

| When you use a double sided DVD writer and double sided disks, do you
| have to manually turn the disk over to write on the second side or is
| the writer somehow designed to be able to just go from side one to side
| two by itself?

I'm not sure about your question, but I'll take the chance you're
talking about dual layer DVDs since I'm not aware of the existence of
consumer burners for double-side DVDs.

Of cause they are existing - we have them in our shop! (attention:
german page);

http://www.feurio.de/feurio-cgi/shop...ikel=3690#3690

This are real double-sided dvd-rs.

You have to turn them!

Tschau, Jens

Hinweis: Die hier angegebene E-Mail Adresse wird aufgrund der SPAM-Überflutung nur sehr selten abgefragt!
Anfragen bitte über das Kontakt-Formular auf meine Webseite (siehe Signatur) stellen!

--
Jens Fangmeier *
http://www.feurio.de: Feurio! - The program for audio-CDs