Desperately Need Help: LITE-ON LTR-52246S (Cendyne)

Old August 10th 03, 11:00 AM
TimC

Default Desperately Need Help: LITE-ON LTR-52246S (Cendyne)

Hi all,

My problem is a bit odd. I have been using these cheap GQ 52x (Lead
Data) discs for a very long time with no problems. About two weeks
after I added an ATA 133 Controller (was Maxtor TX2 now it is Silicon
Image) my burner no longer burns these discs reliably. Tried different
test discs from different spindles always with the same problems. The
problem, when burning VCD/SVCD I get video/sound artifacts toward the
end of the discs. Also discovered that my Memorex x4 no longer work
either (same problem), discs that I have erased and reused many times.
Aside from the Controller nothing, neither software or hardware, was
changed when my 52246S decided to stop working. Recently bought a
Cendyne DVD+/- combo drive (ND-1300A)which burns all of these discs with
no problems. However I really want to get the 52246S burning these
discs again.

Here is some system information:

AMD 1.4 / Epox 8kha+ board / 1 Gig RAM / XP Pro SP1 / ASPI 4.60

Mainboard IDE Channel 1 - 2 Western Digital Drives
Mainboard IDE Channel 2 - 1 (Master)Lite-on DVD-ROM / (Slave) 52246S
CD-RW
Controller IDE Channel 1 - (Master) 1 Western Digital Drive
Controller IDE Channel 2 - (Master) DVD Writer

In trying to work this problem I wanted to know the following:

1. Can I downgrade the firmware back the factory settings of the 52246S?
I am using the latest 6S0F but want to try to reset back to factory.
2. Is there a way to verify a burnt CDR from an image file (.BIN/CUE or
ISO). This is incredibly frustrating. I burn a disc, Nero (5 or 6)
burn it successfully but I need to actually review the entire video in
my DVD standalone to discover there is a problem. Is there a program
that will open an image file and compare it's contents to that of a
burnt CD? If not, would a simple file compare utility work? Where I
would just extract the images content then perform a compare to the CDR.
Today I tried a file/surface test on a bad disc with Nero (6) CD-DVD
Speed which past successfully but produced problems at the end of the
disc in my standalone.

Sorry for the long winded message, just want to make sure I provided ALL
details.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Old August 10th 03, 01:38 PM
mark24951

TimC wrote:
[...]

You could try reversing the DVD and the burner; make the burner master
and the DVD slave.

Old August 10th 03, 02:33 PM
Dan G

Keep your optical drives on the main controller, HD's only on the card.
Also, LeadData is easily one of the worst CDR's available, try something
better.

Old August 10th 03, 02:41 PM
Enkidu

TimC wrote:

Hi all,

About two weeks after I added an ATA 133 Controller (was Maxtor TX2 now it is Silicon
Image) my burner no longer burns these discs reliably.

Mainboard IDE Channel 1 - 2 Western Digital Drives
Mainboard IDE Channel 2 - 1 (Master)Lite-on DVD-ROM / (Slave) 52246S
CD-RW
Controller IDE Channel 1 - (Master) 1 Western Digital Drive
Controller IDE Channel 2 - (Master) DVD Writer

Move your ATAPI devices (burners) to the main board IDE connectors.

Enkidu

Old August 10th 03, 06:12 PM
TimC

Cool....Thanks for all the replys guys.

John,

The CD-RW drive is not on the controller. In fact my DVD bruner is on
the controller and has produced 0 problems. Are you recommending taking
the card out completeley and then testing? Eveything worked for like
two weeks after ading a controller, don't understand why it would
suddenly develop a problem with certain media, unless it is the drive
itself. I will however poke around CDfreeks for a utility that can drop
the firmware down, thanks.

mark24951,

Do you think that reversing the drive configuration would effect how it
would write to one or two brands of media?

Dan G/Enkidu/John,

I know those LeadData are weak media, but have used them for years with
0 problems. You guys are right on the HD's however that is how I
orginally setup and not only did it not fix my problem it also produced
new issues. Strange enough my current layout is working perfect aside
from not being able to write to some of these dirt cheap discs on the
CD-RW.

Thanks for replies, did anyone have adivce on the ISO/.BIN - DISC verify
question?

Old August 10th 03, 07:30 PM
GlassVial

Here is some system information:

AMD 1.4 / Epox 8kha+ board / 1 Gig RAM / XP Pro SP1 / ASPI 4.60

Mainboard IDE Channel 1 - 2 Western Digital Drives
Mainboard IDE Channel 2 - 1 (Master)Lite-on DVD-ROM / (Slave) 52246S
CD-RW
Controller IDE Channel 1 - (Master) 1 Western Digital Drive
Controller IDE Channel 2 - (Master) DVD Writer

First off I'd run the CD/DVD drives off the mainboard and not the
controller card (ie hdd's on controller card). Second off I'd upgrade
your aspi, isn't 4.60 known to cause problems in XP? Latest from
adaptec is 4.71.2, working fine here. Also I've had some weird
problems with 6S0F too, so I'm also considering backing down one as I
had no problems with 6S0D. Sorry for the generic suggestions, it's
all I can see wrong at this point.

-GV
Old August 12th 03, 12:36 PM
Rui Sá

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:12:12 GMT, TimC wrote:

[...]
Thanks for replies, did anyone have adivce on the ISO/.BIN - DISC verify
question?

Check them all with Nero CD Speed (Extra CD Quality Test): as long
as you find errors (yellow or red bars) or slowdowns on the green
line, you're likely to continue to see artifacts during playback.

To avoid the errors I would advise burning at a lower speed, maybe
even 16x, but you have to try what turns out to work better for that
particular media.

--
To reply by e-mail please replace the underscore with a dot.