SSD questions

Old May 15th 17, 09:44 PM posted to comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Noob

Default SSD questions

On 15/05/2017 17:20, bit-naughty wrote:

I have a desktop AND a laptop which are missing hard drives - I wanna
know: is it possible to buy an SSD which I can use in BOTH somehow?
Like, in the laptop just normally (it has to be small enough of
course), and in the desktop with a "case" of some sort? HOW fast are
SSDs these days exactly? Are they comparable to normal hard disks?

Also - I wanna know how RELIABLE they are. If I wanna set up a server
and I need TWO HD's RAIDed, so that if one fails the other's there,
can I buy ONE SSD instead? Cuz obviously, there are no moving parts,
so they should be more reliable, right? And how does the pricing
compare? Will ONE SSD be cheaper/same price as TWO equivalent, ie.
same size hard drives?

comp.arch discusses computer architecture, e.g. processor design.

If comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage is still active, you might
have better luck than here. (Xpost set)

Typical SATA SSD is 2.5" format.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-...Configurations
For general computer use, the 2.5-inch form factor (typically found
in laptops) is the most popular. For desktop computers with 3.5-inch
hard disk slots, a simple adapter plate can be used to make such a
disk fit.

Typical SATA SSD is faster than typical SATA HDD for sequential
reads/writes, and orders of magnitude faster for random reads/writes
(HDD has to spin the platter, which takes ages).

Price, typical SATA SSD, around 5-10x more expensive per GB.
(3-5 cents/GB vs 20-50 cents/GB)
Old May 16th 17, 01:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

SSD, being electonic, could fail. I would always use a surge protector.

If you're going to have the systems for both the desktop & laptop on
there, on separate partitions, you'll need something like

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

It needs alot of study and tech savvy, though. But they're there to help
if you need it.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old May 20th 17, 04:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Noob wrote:
On 15/05/2017 17:20, bit-naughty wrote:

I have a desktop AND a laptop which are missing hard drives - I wanna
know: is it possible to buy an SSD which I can use in BOTH somehow?
Like, in the laptop just normally (it has to be small enough of
course), and in the desktop with a "case" of some sort?

If you want to buy two of the same drive model, the laptop drive can
be used in the desktop with a cheap mounting kit.

If you want to use one drive in both computers, things will be more
technical. Assuming that you want the operating system to be on the
drive, you should look into operating system packages designed to
run from things like USB memory sticks. There are a few such Linux
distributibutions (eg. Knoppix), you have to set up a "persistence"
system to keep changes:
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Customizing_...sistent_memory )
I think there might be some methods to do similar things with Windows.

HOW fast are
SSDs these days exactly? Are they comparable to normal hard disks?

The main selling point of SSDs is that they're faster, especially for
access to data written in different areas.

Also - I wanna know how RELIABLE they are. If I wanna set up a server
and I need TWO HD's RAIDed, so that if one fails the other's there,
can I buy ONE SSD instead? Cuz obviously, there are no moving parts,
so they should be more reliable, right?

Not really. The chips used to store the data are put under significant
stresses and have been seen to have reliability issues that counter
their advantages from being solid-state.

This is a paper from last year based on data collected by Google over
six years:
http://0b4af6cdc2f0c5998459-c0245c5c...-schroeder.pdf
- http://tinyurl.com/zghfryn

The overall conclusion is that SSDs are less likely to fail outright
(though it certainly still happens), but they are _more_ likely to
experience partial unrecoverable data corruption. The reliability
also varies very significantly depending on the model and type of
chip technology used.

The details are important though, so read the whole report carefully
if you want the full picture. Of course your load conditions will
probably be different to Google's, but the report does also indicate
that the aging of drives affects them irrespective of the load that
they're put under. In any case, you should definately still use a RAID
configuration of redundant drive/s for your server.

--
__ __
Old May 20th 17, 04:27 AM posted to comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I just noticed that I didn't cross-post back to comp.arch due to
the Followup-To header, so the OP probably wouldn't see this.

--
__ __