WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

Old January 3rd 17, 08:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn
Old January 3rd 17, 08:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/3/2017 2:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn

BTW, what a pain ! And this is the fifth one of these that I have bought, no problems with the previous external drives.

Lynn
Old January 3rd 17, 09:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/3/2017 2:32 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 1/3/2017 2:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6 TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn

BTW, what a pain ! And this is the fifth one of these that I have bought, no problems with the previous external drives.

Lynn

Since I need another external drive yesterday (I archived the Dec 30, 2016 external drive), I went ahead and bought my first 8 TB
external drive for $220. Our LAN backup has been growing at 50 GB/month lately (I need to investigate this). I wonder if it will
even be 7 TB using 1,024 bytes instead of 1,000 bytes ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHLGC/

And why doesn’t WD have an 8 TB green drive for sale yet ?

Lynn
Old January 3rd 17, 11:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 01/03/2017 04:00 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

I had my first DOA drive on Sunday in a very long time. It is a WD 6
TB external USB drive. Will not even spin up. And I bought it
from Big River back in September so I have to send it back to WD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU686HI/

Lynn

BTW, what a pain ! And this is the fifth one of these that I have
bought, no problems with the previous external drives.

Lynn

Since I need another external drive yesterday (I archived the Dec 30,
2016 external drive), I went ahead and bought my first 8 TB external
drive for $220. Our LAN backup has been growing at 50 GB/month lately
(I need to investigate this). I wonder if it will even be 7 TB using
1,024 bytes instead of 1,000 bytes ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHLGC/

And why doesn’t WD have an 8 TB green drive for sale yet ?

I thought I had read that WD's "Green" drives were being discontinued.

Perce

Old January 4th 17, 12:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
James Wilkinson Sword

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 23:26:17 -0000, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

--
A man spoke frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"
"Is this her first child?" the doctor asked.
Old January 4th 17, 02:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Were those externals?

The solution is to buy a directional desk fan like a Vornado and aim it
at the drive.

I took a WD green out of its usb 2 external enclosure and put in in a
usb 3 that had no vents. It would heat up, unless I used the fan, then
it was good for whatever time period.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old January 4th 17, 02:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 1/3/2017 12:24 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I have to send it back to WD.

They will send a refurbished!

I got one from them. It has been up to 55C .. ugh. OK otherwise.

Old January 4th 17, 04:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I thought I had read that WD's "Green" drives were being discontinued.

They have been. Blue is the new Green. The only remaining 7200rpm Blue
is the 1TB model; all the others are 5400rpm.

Old January 4th 17, 04:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Blacks run hot. They need a lot of cooling. Even some enclosures with
fans aren't good enough.

Old January 4th 17, 10:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Neill Massello wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Blacks run hot. They need a lot of cooling. Even some enclosures with
fans aren't good enough.

That is why I just buy naked HDDs even though their cables are annoying
to carry.
--
Quote of the Week: "The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the
wind. The ant, sir, is blowin' in the wind." --the misheard lyrics to