problem installing Diamond AGP card

Old October 13th 03, 08:32 PM
net

Default problem installing Diamond AGP card

Diamond Monster Fusion AGP

Either this graphics card is a pile of ****e or I'm doing something wrong...
I have what I think is a Diamond Monster Fusion AGP graphics card but I
can't get it to work properly.
I tried to get support but at http://www.diamondmm.com it laughably said:
'On August 26, 2003, Best Data Products Inc. acquired certain trade names
and inventory of Diamond Multimedia's SupraMax communication division....At
this time, Best Data does not have access to drivers for Stealth, Viper,
Monster, or other Diamond graphics cards..In the meantime, customers
interested in obtaining drivers for Diamond graphics cards should check
third party web sites...'

yeah thanks a lot Diamond.

At http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/graphics/agp.htm there are pictures of the
card if you have a second to take a look.
My OS is Win98 SE. I've tried bestnf.zip, vb-w9z-figs-1.04.00.zip,
fus95213.exe, fus9X213.exe, m3d1600.exe and mnstr2207.exe. None of these
drivers make this card work properly. On reboot into Windows I always get a
box comes up saying there's a fault with my display adapter. It will only
work on low resolutions at max 256 colours and it should be much better than
this. I expect I'm using the wrong driver but I'm finding it hard
extablishing exactly what kind of card this is and which driver is correct.

Thanks for any help.

Old October 13th 03, 09:07 PM
net

ps: I've just installed W2K Pro on a formatted HD in a PC with this Diamond
AGP card fitted and it'as working fine. However it shows up in the display
properties as a 3Dfx Interactive, Inc Banshee. Under Adapter information it
says:
Chip Type: 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee
DAC Type: 3Dfx Internal DAC
Memory size: 16Mb
Adapter string: 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee Board
Bios Information: no rom detected.

Is this just Win2k using a different name? or should I be looking for a
Windows 98 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee driver?

Old October 13th 03, 09:21 PM
Shep©

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:32:49 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "net"
wrote :

[...]

Check the Device Manager using Safemode.Click here for why,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
Does your mother board require an updated AGP drivers pack?
Also for more drivers,
http://members.driverguide.com/ums/index.php?action=l
username: drivers
password: all

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 13th 03, 10:58 PM
V W Wall

net wrote:

ps: I've just installed W2K Pro on a formatted HD in a PC with this Diamond
AGP card fitted and it'as working fine. However it shows up in the display
properties as a 3Dfx Interactive, Inc Banshee. Under Adapter information it
says:
Chip Type: 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee
DAC Type: 3Dfx Internal DAC
Memory size: 16Mb
Adapter string: 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee Board
Bios Information: no rom detected.

Is this just Win2k using a different name? or should I be looking for a
Windows 98 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee driver?

If you can get into DOS with debug available:

debug enter
- (debug prompt)
dc000:0040 enter

You should see info on vidio card to the right of display. Type "d" enter
to see next dump.

I have two older Diamond cards, (Stealth and Viper), and they both use
S3 SAVAGE 2000. You might try a S3 driver.

Virg Wall

~ Carl Edward Sagan ~
Old October 14th 03, 01:30 AM
net

"V W Wall" wrote in message
net wrote:

[...]

thanks for your response Virg.
how does one get into DOS with debug?

Old October 14th 03, 07:44 AM
V W Wall

net wrote:

"V W Wall" wrote in message

If you can get into DOS with debug available:

debug enter
- (debug prompt)
dc000:0040 enter

You should see info on vidio card to the right of display. Type "d"

enter
to see next dump.

thanks for your response Virg.
how does one get into DOS with debug?

Have not used Win2K, but you can always get into DOS with a boot disk
with DOS system files and a copy of debug on it. I don't think debug
is on some of the standard boot disks, but it's easy enough to make one
by doing format /s on a 1.44MB floppy, and then copying debug to it.

Virg Wall

~ Carl Edward Sagan ~
Old October 14th 03, 11:46 AM
net

"V W Wall" wrote in message
net wrote:

"V W Wall" wrote in message

If you can get into DOS with debug available:

debug enter
- (debug prompt)
dc000:0040 enter

You should see info on vidio card to the right of display. Type "d"

enter
to see next dump.

thanks for your response Virg.
how does one get into DOS with debug?

Have not used Win2K, but you can always get into DOS with a boot disk
with DOS system files and a copy of debug on it. I don't think debug
is on some of the standard boot disks, but it's easy enough to make one
by doing format /s on a 1.44MB floppy, and then copying debug to it.

okay thanks I'll try that

Old October 15th 03, 08:59 PM
net

"V W Wall" wrote in message
net wrote:

"V W Wall" wrote in message

If you can get into DOS with debug available:

debug enter
- (debug prompt)
dc000:0040 enter

You should see info on vidio card to the right of display. Type "d"

enter
to see next dump.

thanks for your response Virg.
how does one get into DOS with debug?

Have not used Win2K, but you can always get into DOS with a boot disk
with DOS system files and a copy of debug on it. I don't think debug
is on some of the standard boot disks, but it's easy enough to make one
by doing format /s on a 1.44MB floppy, and then copying debug to it.

okay, I managed to run debug and it said:
051562LGD
..X. DMonster Fusion
Vers. 1:2064803 Diamond
Multimedia Systems,
Inc.....U. .....i
3r.. ']......F.
....Y.....G...............

I've tried using this data in google but I still can't find an alternative
driver to the ones I've tried already. Whaddya think?

Old October 15th 03, 09:09 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:59:04 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

"V W Wall" wrote in message
net wrote:

"V W Wall" wrote in message

[...]

Diamond are no more.
It's a 3dfx card.You can get drivers here,
http://www.driverguide.com/
username drivers
password all

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 15th 03, 09:49 PM
V W Wall

net wrote:

okay, I managed to run debug and it said:
051562LGD
.X. DMonster Fusion
Vers. 1:2064803 Diamond
Multimedia Systems,
Inc.....U. .....i
3r.. ']......F.
...Y.....G...............

I've tried using this data in google but I still can't find an alternative
driver to the ones I've tried already. Whaddya think?

That's about all you can expect from debug. It can't tell you more than what
the vender put in the firmware in the card. It's handy sometimes, 'cause you
don't have to open the case. My Viper card read: (Also not much help.)

Viper II Z200 BIOS
Version 3.1C.09,DMM-01
-5934 Video Memory
Copyright 2000 by
Diamond Multimedia
02/25/00

Try Shep's suggestion for driverguide.com

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.