Couple of questions on building a P4 system...

Old September 23rd 03, 04:16 PM
jtpr

Default Couple of questions on building a P4 system...

I have decided to upgrade my current PII 333 system to a P4 based system. I
want to use the same drives (SCSI on an Adaptec 2940) and case. But I
understand I need to change the power supply. Is this true?

Secondly, memory. I'm going to use the chip for the 800 Mhz FSB (2.4Ghz).
I read that you need to use memory in pairs to take advantage of all
performance on the board. I assume that means I need to use 2x256 dimms as
opposed to 1x512. Am I interpreting this correctly? Also, should I be
looking for a particular kind of memory?

Finally, can anybody recommend a particular MB/chipset over others? I want
to stay in the $100 range and I want audio on the board as well as 2.0 USB.
I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video board (AGP) I still plan to use. I
would like a board on the HCL for Windows 2000 Pro and XP. Serial ATA would
be cool in case I try it later, but not necessary. I would rather have
stability. I wanted to keep this whole thing about $300, but it seems I may
need to get closer to $400. I'm currently using an Intel Pro 100 nic, but
having LAN on board is OK as well. I am not really into or concerned with
overclocking. I want more speed, but stability on this machine is
paramount.

Thanks very much for any input.
--
-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Old September 23rd 03, 05:34 PM
O |V| 3 G A

just want to point out that i`m running an amd system.

see below

"jtpr" wrote in message
I have decided to upgrade my current PII 333 system to a P4 based system.

want to use the same drives (SCSI on an Adaptec 2940) and case. But I
understand I need to change the power supply. Is this true?

you`ll need to change PSU. new PSU's come with a 2x2 power connector for
P4's systems. afaik the cpu takes it's own 12v feed. there is also a 1x6
connector called AUX - not sure what this is for, but to my experience not
for a AMD system. intel may use this connector

Secondly, memory. I'm going to use the chip for the 800 Mhz FSB (2.4Ghz).
I read that you need to use memory in pairs to take advantage of all
performance on the board. I assume that means I need to use 2x256 dimms

as
opposed to 1x512. Am I interpreting this correctly? Also, should I be
looking for a particular kind of memory?

yes, thats right - 2x256mb's. amd based pc's you dont NEED to run pairs,
just you get a speed increment if you do, presumeably intel based systems
are the same.

as you say below, your not into overclocking. just get some run of the mill
branded stuff - geil, siemens, corsair (none Xtra Memory Speed), twinmos,
kingston etc. there are modules called matched paired - but it's more hype
than anything. i`m running 2x256 twinmos non-matched ram on a dual channel
mobo - very very stable

Finally, can anybody recommend a particular MB/chipset over others? I

want
to stay in the $100 range and I want audio on the board as well as 2.0

USB.
I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video board (AGP) I still plan to use. I
would like a board on the HCL for Windows 2000 Pro and XP. Serial ATA

would
be cool in case I try it later, but not necessary. I would rather have
stability. I wanted to keep this whole thing about $300, but it seems I

may
need to get closer to $400. I'm currently using an Intel Pro 100 nic, but

having LAN on board is OK as well. I am not really into or concerned with
overclocking. I want more speed, but stability on this machine is
paramount.

i cant recommend asus boards enough. there bloody amazing boards. packed
full of features (SATA, RAID, firewire, usb, lan, sound, IRDA headers,
memory stick headers etc etc) and extreamly stable. there so good infact,
that i went from an asus, to £100 epox (~$150) back to asus again.
as for chipset, i`m lead to believe the i845 chipset is very good, but dont
take my word on it.
look at www.tomshardware.com and search for what you want - usually have
anything you want to know.

tim

Old September 23rd 03, 07:06 PM
O |V| 3 G A

oh, also, get a branded PSU - enermax, antec etc

they give cleaner voltages - helps with stability. the bigger wattage the
better, but i`d aim for over 350w for a basic setup. (i got enermax 550w -
future 'proofing')

tim

Old September 23rd 03, 10:01 PM
jtpr

This is what I was looking at:

(1) MB-MSI-034 MSI 848P NEO-LS MAIN BOARD. $92.99
(1) CPU-INTEL-006 INTEL P-4 2.4GHZ 800FSB. RETAIL $172.00

(2) MMN-KING-012 KINGSTON 512MB PC3200 400Mhz DDR DUAL CHANNEL $202.00

(1) PS-RM-0002 RaidMax Blue 400W 2 FAN ALUMNIUM POWER SUPPLY $44.00

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

Old September 24th 03, 03:16 AM
Stacey

jtpr wrote:

Thank you. I have heard good things about ASUS. Can you recommend a
board?

P4P800
--

Stacey
Old September 24th 03, 04:57 PM
Phrederik

"jtpr" wrote in message
Thank you. I have heard good things about ASUS. Can you recommend a

board?

Then you haven't looked very hard. I know half a dozen folks who wouldn't
take an Asus board if it was free!

Unexpected system switch off Tony Cooper General 3 September 8th 03 06:21 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Opnion about buying vs building desktop system Joseph General 3 August 29th 03 02:45 AM
AMD system and memory questions Germán Schuager General 9 August 11th 03 06:35 AM
serial ATA vs ATA133...can't decide on wich...to much unanswered questions... KILOWATT General 2 July 12th 03 10:13 AM