WD Green sleep timeout

Old July 5th 17, 09:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Tom Del Rosso[_6_]

Default WD Green sleep timeout

The WD Greens used to have a timeout of about 10 seconds, and they only
had a DOS utility to change it. What's the state of their Greens now?

Old July 6th 17, 01:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

The WD Greens used to have a timeout of about 10 seconds, and they only
had a DOS utility to change it. What's the state of their Greens now?

To clarify, the timeout was for parking the heads, not spindown. It
appears as the Load Cycle Count (193 LCC) in SMART reports.

The Green line was absorbed by the Blue line. WD now sells 5400rpm
drives, in sizes from 2TB to 6TB, as Blue drives. I don't know what the
LCC timeout is for these drives.

https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-blue-pc-desktop-hard-drive.html

Old July 7th 17, 07:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 7/5/2017 7:32 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

The WD Greens used to have a timeout of about 10 seconds, and they only
had a DOS utility to change it. What's the state of their Greens now?

To clarify, the timeout was for parking the heads, not spindown. It
appears as the Load Cycle Count (193 LCC) in SMART reports.

The Green line was absorbed by the Blue line. WD now sells 5400rpm
drives, in sizes from 2TB to 6TB, as Blue drives. I don't know what the
LCC timeout is for these drives.

https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-blue-pc-desktop-hard-drive.html

I wish that WD sold a WD Blue drive in 8 TB.

Lynn

Old July 8th 17, 03:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 7/7/2017 11:56 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

I wish that WD sold a WD Blue drive in 8 TB.

Lynn

I had a WD Blue 7200rpm 1T drive start to go bad, and got a current one
to replace it. I didn't realize for months that the sequential access on
the new one is much faster. The random access is nothing special. It
starts at 160 and is down to only 100 at the inside of the disk.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

---

Old July 10th 17, 05:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Tom Del Rosso[_6_]

Neill Massello wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

The WD Greens used to have a timeout of about 10 seconds, and they
only had a DOS utility to change it. What's the state of their
Greens now?

To clarify, the timeout was for parking the heads, not spindown. It
appears as the Load Cycle Count (193 LCC) in SMART reports.

The Green line was absorbed by the Blue line. WD now sells 5400rpm
drives, in sizes from 2TB to 6TB, as Blue drives. I don't know what
the LCC timeout is for these drives.

https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-blue-pc-desktop-hard-drive.html

Thanks. Then I'll stick with black!

Old July 10th 17, 10:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 7/9/2017 9:17 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Thanks. Then I'll stick with black!

Are they kind of noisy?

Old July 10th 17, 10:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Tom Del Rosso[_6_]

Ed Light wrote:
On 7/9/2017 9:17 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Thanks. Then I'll stick with black!

Are they kind of noisy?

I never noticed, so I think not. With all the fans going at the same
time I don't think it matters.

Old July 11th 17, 05:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Ed Light wrote:

Are they kind of noisy?

More noise, vibration, and heat than the 5400rpm drives, but it varies
quite a bit depending on the capacity. I have a Black 1TB that runs
quieter than my Black 500GB drives.

When a Green drive is not Green, especially Flasherly[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 4 March 4th 15 05:27 PM
DHCP timeout problem Samik Raychaudhuri Homebuilt PC's 4 April 17th 05 01:03 AM
Netgear MR814 timeout Kev General 0 April 10th 05 02:52 AM
Cannot Set Boot.Ini Timeout to Zero [email protected] General 4 March 9th 05 07:07 PM
AV7 and Win2000 Timeout Error Lorenzo Asus Motherboards 3 May 2nd 04 10:09 AM