GA-K8N - gigabyte or others

Old July 7th 04, 09:04 AM
Getho

Default GA-K8N - gigabyte or others

Anyone have any thoughts on the board above? I'd rather have stability than
speed - any others that are similarly priced?

Getho

Old July 7th 04, 11:43 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:04:14 +1000, Getho wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the board above? I'd rather have stability than
speed - any others that are similarly priced?

Why would you want an NF3-150 chipset? It's the worst of the lot. If you
want Nvidia, get one with the nf3-250 chipset, otherwise, SIS, VIA, or Ali.

Old July 8th 04, 12:54 AM
Getho

I dont know why or would or wouldn't want a particular chipset, thats why
I'm asking. These boards are being lauded by tech sites like anandtech, but
you cant beat users experience. Any suggestions then, for stable boards
prefferably with more than 4 ide devices, 3 dimm slots on *any* chipset?

Getho

newsan.2004.07.07.10.47.33.866152@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old July 8th 04, 05:13 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:54:06 +1000, Getho wrote:

I dont know why or would or wouldn't want a particular chipset, thats why
I'm asking. These boards are being lauded by tech sites like anandtech, but
you cant beat users experience. Any suggestions then, for stable boards
prefferably with more than 4 ide devices, 3 dimm slots on *any* chipset?

As I said, any except the NF3-150 chipset. Personnally, I chose the Jetway
S755MAX. Reasons were 1) SIS755 chipset, the fastest and most reliable. 2)
Supports lots of settings adjustments you usually don't find on SIS
chipset boards. 3) Uses a seperate S180 raid controller that provides
both sata and ata raid support for a total of 6 ata and 2 sata devices. 4)
At $89 it was the best buy IMO. This was a few months ago. The newer
chipsets have advanced. The most notable advance was with HT bus going
from 800MHz to 1000MHz. Today, I'd have to look at all of them again to
make a decision, but wouldn't buy an old chipset. The NF3-250 would be a
contender, as would new chipsets from SIS, Ali, and VIA. Find the chipset
you want, then find the board that has the features you want. Oh, using 3
dimm slots causes problems and usually results in less performance than
using just 1 or 2.

All this info is on the web if you just take the time to look.

Old July 9th 04, 08:18 AM
Getho

Hi Wes,

All this info is on the web if you just take the time to look.

Thanks for the suggustions, as I said I spent a tonne of time searching the
web reading reviews, came hear for user opinions.
I took the time to look, and to be honest a lot of what is stated in the
tech sites goes over my head, reviews are seldom dated and many dont state
what chipsets the boards use - you have to figure that out from the date of
the review - which if its archived is uaually pretty hard to find.

Geth.

Old July 9th 04, 09:52 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:18:14 +1000, Getho wrote:

Hi Wes,

All this info is on the web if you just take the time to look.

Thanks for the suggustions, as I said I spent a tonne of time searching the
web reading reviews, came hear for user opinions.
I took the time to look, and to be honest a lot of what is stated in the
tech sites goes over my head, reviews are seldom dated and many dont state
what chipsets the boards use - you have to figure that out from the date of
the review - which if its archived is uaually pretty hard to find.

Go to the manufacturers webiste and look at the specs for the board. I
don't recall any that don't give the chipset used. As I said earlier, I
would but the GA-K8N today. Look for a newer chipset if you are concerned
with performance and upgradability or getting more form a slower cpu.
AKAIK, Nvidia, Ali, VIA, and SIS all make newer chipsets that support the
new HTT link specs. And if you're cerned with overclocking, make sure it
has a PCI lock.

Old July 14th 04, 02:33 PM
Getho

Hi Wes,
Thanks for the advice, yes I've been jumping from review to manufacturers
websites, I'm cross-eyed with all the reviews and features I've reviewed.
Think I'll go with the Anandtech reccommednation the msi neo platinum,
Getho

newsan.2004.07.09.20.57.23.110241@TAKEOUTverizon .net...