Slow down CD burn?

Old August 9th 03, 08:23 AM
jmazz

Default Slow down CD burn?

I am using an AOPEN CDRW 4852 burner and NERO V5.5.9
When I burn the min burn speed seems to be 8x.
Using this to burn VCDs I am having trouble reading the VCD on my DVD.
How can I slow down my burn speed as others have told me that with older
equipment they had troubles reading VCDs on DVD players when burning at
higher than 2x.

Old August 9th 03, 10:30 AM
kony

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:23:28 +1000, "jmazz" wrote:

I am using an AOPEN CDRW 4852 burner and NERO V5.5.9
When I burn the min burn speed seems to be 8x.
Using this to burn VCDs I am having trouble reading the VCD on my DVD.
How can I slow down my burn speed as others have told me that with older
equipment they had troubles reading VCDs on DVD players when burning at
higher than 2x.

I'd try different media, or perhaps even a higher burn speed (if you
haven't already). DVD drives have a harder time reading CDRs to begin
with, and cheaper CDRs use thinner reflective surface making the
problem even worse. Some people report their drives can better read
rewritable discs, but perhaps not yours if it's really old, but worth
a try anyway. Of course there's also the option to replace the DVD
player.

Run Nero's CDSpeed (Comes with Retail version of Nero, may be
available on the OEM Nero discs too, I don't remember, or can be
downloaded at the following link.)
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

CDSpeed will query the drive and report all the supported burn speeds.
If it doesn't report below 8X the drive just won't do it, is not
supported by the drive. Any and all of those choices shown by CDSpeed
should also be provided by Nero Burning Rom (what you refer to as Nero
5.5.9) so the odds are that the drive just won't burn under 8X by any
method if neither program indicates it would.

Dave

Old August 9th 03, 02:18 PM
Mike Walsh

With newer hardware and media there is no advantage to slowing the burn speed to 2x. You can get better results if the burn speed is below the maximum speed of the hardware and media, but there is not much improvement by going to less than half of the maximum speed. If the hardware and media are both rated for at least 16x you will not see any improvement by burning at less than 8x.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.