Possible to burn 2 separate discs at one time?

Old November 10th 03, 10:10 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 2/5,6/02

Fixed-length packets...maintain the directory information
in RAM while the disc is in use ...

When you remove a fixed-length packet disc after having
written anything to it, the directory information is written
back from RAM.
======================

Are you sure about that, Mikey?

If the computer's RESET button is pressed while the disc is in use, it
would then be a disaster, wouldn't it, Mikey?

From: DeepOne
Subject: CD-RW Disc broken on DirectCD
Date: 7/9/00

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

When you load a fixed-length packet disc, the directory information
is read from the disc and translated in RAM. When you write to the
disc, the data are recorded immediately but the directory is updated
only in RAM. When you eject the disc or shut down Windows properly,
the directory information is transformed and written back to the disc.
Therefore, from the time you change something in the (RAM) directory
until that writeback, you can lose the directory if you have a
failure. That failure can be a power transient or a system lockup or
even forcing the disc to eject (in spite of the lock) using hardware.

I don't believe this is true with the latest versions of DirectCD (I'm
using 2.5d with Win98SE).

I've watched the disc write lights on my Plextor drives when ejecting a
DirectCD CD-RW disc, and the drive never does any writing at that time.

Once, in an attempt to prove this, I wrote a bunch of files to a
DirectCD CD-RW disc. As soon as the write pulses ceased,

I pressed the computer's RESET button.

After the computer restarted, the CD-RW disc was fine, and all the files
I had just written were fully accessible.

--------------------------------------
Old November 11th 03, 07:25 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: Lost data on CDs - is it the CD or Roxio's Easy CD Creator
Date: 3/27/02

Even when all the data have been written, the write is not complete. For
reasons discussed in the primer at my site, the directory information is
not written until the disc is ejected.
======================

In that case pressing the computer's RESET button will surely result in
a disaster, won't it, Mikey?

Old November 13th 03, 05:29 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 5/7/02

forcing a fixed-length packet disc to be released with
the button on the drive is an invitation to disaser.

It should always be ejected through software so that
pending writes including the directory are completed.

DCD 5.x allows hardware ejection, but even then it is
*very* bad practice.
=====================

Hardware eject is a *very* bad practice, yet DirectCD 5.x allows it!
Do cRoxio programmers specialize in *very* bad practice?

One more reason to add that to the ****ty list:

cRoxio Programmers are ****ty

How about pressing the RESET button? Surely, wouldn't it be
worse than the *very* bad practice, Mikey?

Old November 15th 03, 08:34 PM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)

[ Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey? ]

From: smh
Subject: Packet writing software for Windows XP
Date: 8/13/02

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

The effective lifetime of the disc is better measured in ejections than
in erase cycles. Despite specification numbers of the order of a
thousand cycles, experience has suggested a practical limit at least an
order of magnitude less.

Do you know more than cRoxio?

DirectCD for Windows Technical FAQs
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/dcdwin/dcdwinfaqs.html

" In practical terms, you will probably
never wear out a CD-RW disc. "

[ Mikey, should you not have cRoxio rewrite the above? ]

--------------------------------------
Old November 16th 03, 08:30 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)

[ Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey? ]

From: smh
Subject: tdk 40/12/48 rw trouble
Date: 10/30/02

Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill) wrote:

Erasable media wear out, particularly with the sort of use
fixed-length packets usually give them.

Is cRoxio lying?

Old November 17th 03, 05:33 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)

[ Why does DirectCD use *SPARING* technique? Why the bother, Mikey? ]

From: smh
Subject: cd-rom wont eject cd-r/w disks but will eject cd-r disks
Date: 11/7/02

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

...The nominal 1000 cycles has appeared to be a
fiction to all of us who used fixed-length packets. Unfortunately, the
first area to go (for understandable reasons) is that of the directory.

------------------------------------

Old November 18th 03, 05:29 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)

[ Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey? ]

From: smh
Subject: Problem with Direct CD 3.05
Date: 11/23/02

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

Difficulty in formatting an erasable is most often due to the medium,
not to the software or drive hardware. During a full format, each sector
is written and read back; if the error rate is excessive, the sector is
retried, then retired ...

Note that errors increase with erase cycles; the practical limit is far
less than the theoretical 1000 cycles.

Is cRoxio lying?

Old November 19th 03, 08:16 AM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)

[Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey?]

From: smh
Subject: Can't rewrite
Date: 12/29/02

Mikey Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

It could be an erasable wearing out. Don't believe the
manufacturer's claims about number of cycles; users typically
find less than a hundred erase cycles before losses show and
packet writing uses more erase cycles in the directory area
(where your problem originates) than many believe.

If that's the case, how could cRoxio claim this?
Is Rox**** lying, Mikey?

Old November 20th 03, 10:23 PM
smh

Jerry W Barrington wrote:

smh wrote:

======================================
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
======================================

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

a lot of rant snipped

Is this only a rant, not libel?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)

[Why does DirectCD use SPARING technique? Why the bother, Mikey?]

From: smh
Subject: Problems with EZCD 5 Platinum and UDF
Date: 3/31/03

Mikey Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

The nominal life of an erasable is 1000 erase cycles, but that has not
been realized in practice for many reasons. One is that critical areas
of the disc are "erased" every time you modify one and eject it.

If that's the case, how could cRoxio claim this? Is cRoxio lying?

Old November 21st 03, 03:49 AM
Bill

Paul Soderman wrote in message ...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that if 2 separate burners are hooked up,
it is possible to record different discs at the same time. I think that it
involved duplicating the software used to burn the CDR and choosing the
appropriate burner/drive for the respective disc being burned.

Of course, in trying to find a Usenet article concerning this, I found
nothing! Did I imagine this? Much thanks for any help!
_____________________
Regards, Paul Soderman

I'm also on AOL as Kidpocono

If you have multiple burners and running OS X then you can do both
multi-burning and multi-copy. You can download a trial of Dragon Burn
@ www.ntius.com.

Shortcut problem (southbridge burn) Ian Homebuilt PC's 4 December 14th 04 11:33 PM
Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 05:50 AM
Nero for Multisession discs: How much space is really left forfiles? smh Cdr 4 September 26th 03 09:06 AM
cd-rw is recognized but will not burn Alex Cdr 1 September 19th 03 06:41 AM
Nero & Alcohol won't burn my cd images anymore... Joe Emenaker Cdr 0 June 25th 03 11:57 PM