Intel price cuts

Old April 24th 07, 02:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill

Default Intel price cuts

Any expert here know how long it may take for this to affect desktop
pricing?

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31743/118/

Thanks
Bill

Old April 24th 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Probably never. The OEMs will absorb the CPU price cuts as added profit
margin. On the other hand, if one of name-brand companies gets desperate to
sell a particular product line, there will be some room for a price cut.

This is your typical Intel price curve, almost prohibitively expensive for early
adopters, followed by successive price cuts, followed by cheap mainstream
pricing, followed by (WHOOPS!) rising prices when a CPU is no longer in
production... Ben Myers

Old April 25th 07, 12:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
Already happening.

More good news for AMD.

Old April 25th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

AMD's cup runneth under.

Old April 25th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill

And when it runneth it runneth plenty

Old April 25th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Bill" wrote in message
And when it runneth it runneth plenty

I'll file this in into the "be careful of what you wish for / you might just
get it." category .

The AMD enthusiast/Intel protest buyer is/was as rabid as any contigent out
there.

Boy it seems business has gotten even more ruthless lately.......probably
just me.

Stew

Old April 25th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I just skimmed, but the article completely misses the point.

Intel is selling because their price/performance is dramatically better. It
wasn't prior to the Core Duo and particularly now with the Core 2 Duo, but
if you look now, AMD isn't competitive.

Old April 26th 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

In my view, the issue is not so much what AMD did wrong but what Intel
did right. AMD's biggest problem is just that the Core 2 Duo product
line is just superb in every possible way. There used to be reasons to
buy AMD for some buyers and Intel for other buyers, but as things now
stand, the "right" product for almost every buyer is an Intel product.

Old April 26th 07, 04:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:43:44 -0400, Barry Watzman
wrote:

In my view, the issue is not so much what AMD did wrong but what Intel
did right. AMD's biggest problem is just that the Core 2 Duo product
line is just superb in every possible way. There used to be reasons to
buy AMD for some buyers and Intel for other buyers, but as things now
stand, the "right" product for almost every buyer is an Intel product.

I'm glad Intel is the right product, because I never wanted to get
into the details of which company's chips are better. I couldn't help
noticing though that in the past AMD-supplied PCs seemed to be
significantly cheaper.

It is confusing to many that "Core 2" is better than "Core Duo". I
know someone who just bought a new "Core Duo" thinking he was getting
the latest chips.

I guess it's "buyer, be aware". This newsgroup has helped me
significantly in that regard.

I hope the next iteration of Intel's chips aren't "Quad Core 2 Duo's"
-- I've had enough mental gymnastics for a while.

Actually, I won't be in the market for a new computer for several
years. Seriously!!! (I know you don't believe me).

Rather than chipsets, I am looking more forward to laptops with more
efficient (LED or otherwise) screens and solid state drives with
instant-on. Then I'll ditch my Palm and never look back.

Ubiquitous WLAN would be nice too.

Instant on, instant everywhere, instant check e-mail, instant check
calendar, instant enter task, instantly stream music to wireless
headphones (instant b'bye iPod), instant video-call Aunt Harriet,
instant watch 97th episode of MASH, instant off, last all-day, instant
mocha cappuccino.

AMD sales drop in face of Intel price cuts DP AMD x86-64 Processors 3 July 10th 06 10:56 AM
Massive AMD Price Cuts: Yay!! rms Overclocking 37 October 25th 04 01:23 AM
Massive AMD Price Cuts: Yay!! rms Overclocking AMD Processors 26 October 25th 04 01:23 AM
Dothan price cuts Yousuf Khan Intel 0 September 24th 04 05:53 AM
AMD price cuts Andrew R. Gillett UK Computer Vendors 0 July 29th 04 07:23 PM