Which CPU/Mainboard, of these two old systems?

Old November 2nd 08, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Which CPU/Mainboard, of these two old systems?

Calab wrote:

"Calab" wrote in message
I've got a friend who's computer is quite old - still running Windows 98.
She's just recieved a computer for free and I'm trying to build the best
system from what I have.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Some replies, in no particular order...

I honestly had no idea what kind of performance the Radeon 7000 had,
especially being PCI. I guessed that they were pretty close, but wanted
some
verification.

I considered PC#2, even though it was unstable, because it could be memory
or video card, which could be switched out. It also had the ability to
use a
faster CPU when I found one.

I've had a few ECS and PCChips mainboards. They're cheap and will do in a
pinch.

In the end it all became moot. I found a working 1.3Ghz AMD machine for
$40. It was complete except for a hard drive. Even had 6800GT video
card. The system is up and running beautifully.

Now I'm harvesting PC #2 for parts to add to PC #1. 2x256meg work. Got
the DVDRW and ATI video card as well as the PCI USB card. The only issue
I see is that it appears that the 1Ghz CPU is only running at 500Mhz
(highest the MB can do). Plenty fast for Win98SE with 512meg of memory
and only used for internet stuff.

http://www.seanix.com/downloads/Manu...ish_manual.pdf

If the slocket has an option to jumper the bus speed, try jumpering it
to 100MHz. It could be, if the Seanix sees 133MHz, it defaults to 66MHz.
If the slocket has jumpers for the FSB, try fiddling with them and set
them to 100MHz. You may be able to run at 2/3rds of full speed, rather
than 1/2.

The multiplier jumpers shouldn't do anything, so you shouldn't have
to adjust them.

Paul
Old November 2nd 08, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Grinder" wrote in message
philo wrote:
"Calab" wrote in message
I've got a friend who's computer is quite old - still running Windows

98.
She's just recieved a computer for free and I'm trying to build the

best
system from what I have.

PC #1:
- Seanix Columbia III mainboard (BX chipset)
- USB ports MAY be broken.
- Intel Celeron 1Ghz @ 100Mhz bus (Socket 370 in a slotkey adapter)
- 3x128meg = 384meg of SDRAM (the supposed max on this mainboard)
- nVidia MX400 AGP video card
- 60gig IDE HDD
- 40x IDE CDrom
- Currently running Windows 98

PC #2:
- ECS K7S5A v1 mainboard (SiS chipset)
- AMD K7 @ 850Mhz
- 2x256meg = 512meg of SDRAM (Also has 2xDDR slots available)
- ATI Radeon 7000 **PCI** video card
- 2x 80gig IDE HDDs
- LiteOn 1637S IDE DVDRW drive
- PCI 2x USB card
- Currently running Windows XP Home
- This machine had random reboot problems, but since the reinstall of

XP
it
*seems* stable.

So, looking at the two systems, what is the best way to go with this?

PC#1 has the faster CPU (any features that the K7 is missing?) but it

has
an
OLD mainboard. It also has memory limitations (I haven't tried the

2x256
in
this board). Being a Slot1 mainboard, upgrades are limited.

PC#2 has the newer mainboard but the slower CPU. Some stuff won't

install
here, like DirectX 9 or SilverLight. Being Socket A, I could get a

faster
CPU, but what about the media features needed by DirectX or

SilverLight,
etc?

Finally, which is the better video card. The AGP nVidia MX400 or the

PCI
ATI
Radeon 7000?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Heck , if the 2nd machine has a working installation of XP on it...
I'd go with that one. (Providing it stays stable)

XP is way better than win98,
plus it has two HD's

Though the 850 mhz AMD cpu is a bit slower in "mhz" it's a better CPU

than
the Celeron
so should be as good or better.

If the 2nd board has any empty ram slots
you may be able to use some from the other machine.

BTW: ECS is not always considered the best mobo,
but I had one once and it only had one minor glitch:

In the winter, it was pretty prone to static discharge
and I had to make sure I had grounded myself
prior to plugging in a USB device.

If I shuffled across the carpet and plugged in a USB device
without first grounding myself, the machine would sometimes reboot!

Shuffling and "rebooting" is a sign of old age--are you sure it wasn't
just "operator error?"

Am I getting old

33 years ago, when I went to work...I always used to hear them say:

"Get a haircut young man."

Now they don't say that any more, I just thought they had gotten more polite

ECS boards are Ok for the younger folks I guess!

Old November 2nd 08, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 04:53:28 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Calab wrote:

"Calab" wrote in message
[...]

Since Celeron 1GHz is 10X multiplier on 100MHz FSB,
defaulting to lowest standard 440BX chipset FSB should
result in 10X 66.6...MHz or 667MHz, but it seems possible
the bios is merely displaying the wrong CPU speed.

With windows running a program like CPU-Z should show the
actual CPU frequency to confirm whether it's at 1GHz or
verify needed slotket jumper settings are taking effect.
Old November 2nd 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Grinder" typed:
Calab wrote:
[...]

I would go with motherboard #2. Don't sweat the processor--clock
speed isn't everything.

You'd go with an SIS over a BX?

Each to their own I guess. IMO the BX was the best chipset Intel made in a
decade. I've never had an SIS I was impressed with.
--
Shaun.

Old November 4th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
rjk

philo wrote:
"Calab" wrote in message
[...]

hehe, PEBCAC, Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair!!

Systems Availability of Systems Using Via Isaiah CN chip [email protected] AMD x86-64 Processors 0 February 8th 08 08:38 PM
XPS Systems Andy Dell Computers 7 February 24th 05 04:55 PM
--> AMAZING! Free Ipods, Laptops, PC's, Game Systems, Car Gear, Computer Parts, TV's, Home Theater Systems, Bose iPod Sound Dock, + Much Much More! Check It OUT! <-- GuitarMan Nvidia Videocards 0 January 24th 05 08:59 PM
New 8400, XPS gen 3 systems - can your systems play current games (Far Cry...)? scooby Dell Computers 3 August 7th 04 05:57 PM
systems Larry S General Hardware 4 January 4th 04 09:47 PM