faulty capasitors

Old October 29th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_3_]

Default faulty capasitors

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Maggy" typed:
Don't be so quick to criticize Shaun. Poor quality mobo's (cheap)
often react badly to humidity.
I've seen the results and believe me, (or not) the top end of
capacitors are very prone to corrosion.
this is just one possibility to the op problem.

Learn to post correctly. Top-posting is for 'tards.

You now say "this is just one possibility to the op problem". You previously
said "Bad capacitors will be discolored on top".

Going by your first statement, that bad capacitors will be discloured on
top, the capacitor in this picture can't possibly be bad as it's top isn't
discoloured:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1225234719.jpg

However, when the capacitor is viewed from the side it becomes obvious that
something is amiss:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1225234757.jpg

So, as it's not discoloured on the top is this capacitor fine?

That would indeed be odd as, when I replaced it, the graphics card worked
fine again. It didn't with that capacitor fitted.
--
Shaun.

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Maggy" typed:
Open up the case and look with a flashlight. Bad capacitors will be
discolored on top. Usually due to air moisture.

Once upon a time all advice given here was qualtiy advice....
--
Shaun.

"JBJ" wrote in message
k...
"Juve" skrev i meddelelsen
HI,

Mobo has been on and off for the last couple of weeks.
(occationally harddrive is not detected at start up) Someone
suggested this might be due to bad capasitators. How does one
gauge the "capasity" of capasitors? Multimeter?
OR

Might also be your PSU, try changing it

--

Mvh

JBJ

Old October 29th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

Maggy wrote:

"JBJ" wrote in message
k...

Mobo has been on and off for the last couple of weeks. (occationally
harddrive is not detected at start up) Someone suggested this might be
due to bad capasitators. How does one gauge the "capasity" of
capasitors? Multimeter?

Open up the case and look with a flashlight. Bad capacitors will be
discolored on top. Usually due to air moisture.

Only if they actually rupture instead of just swell up, but even
ruptured caps may not show any discoloration (EVGA brand nVidia FX5200
AGP card):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/...2c511a5a_o.jpg

Faulty PSU? Safe General 3 February 6th 07 06:28 AM
Changeing capasitors on a Mobo easy ? OCZ Guy Abit Motherboards 3 July 7th 04 11:46 AM
Faulty RAM Chris Howells UK Computer Vendors 18 May 19th 04 08:35 PM
faulty cpu? Gregory Kleverlaan Homebuilt PC's 2 January 27th 04 11:21 PM
Faulty CPU? Billy Whizz Homebuilt PC's 5 June 28th 03 07:52 PM