Can't add usb printer (Expert help needed)

Old June 7th 08, 07:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
davidg35

Default Can't add usb printer (Expert help needed)

When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show
under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new
port" I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. The
laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. I know the fix is in the
registry I'm just not sure how exactly.
Old June 7th 08, 11:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"davidg35" wrote in message
When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show
under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new
port" I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. The
laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. I know the fix is in the
registry I'm just not sure how exactly.

What happens when you attempt to use the installation software for the
printer?
If Windows already has a driver for the printer does any message come up
saying Windows has found a plug and play printer?
Have you tried a different cable and does the printer work on another
system?
--
Jan Alter

or

Old June 8th 08, 01:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
davidg35

On Jun 7, 3:47*pm, "Jan Alter" wrote:
"davidg35" wrote in message

When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show
under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new
port" *I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. *The
laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. *I know the fix is in the
registry I'm just not sure how exactly.

What happens when you attempt to use the installation software for the
printer?
If Windows already has a driver for the printer does any message come up
saying Windows has found a plug and play printer?
Have you tried a different cable and does the printer work on another
system?
--
Jan Alter

or

Thanks, printer and cable are good. Software loads and says errors
with installation, uninstall and reinstall. printer is seen for plug
and play.
Old June 8th 08, 11:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"davidg35" wrote in message

[...]

What are the errors?
What is the printer make and model?
Do you have the newest install program for the printer from the
manufacturer?
In the system file under hardware are all devices working? Any yellow
exclamation marks? Bfore and after the install attempt?

Old June 8th 08, 12:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al Bundy

On Jun 7, 2:36 pm, davidg35 wrote:
When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show
under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new
port" I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. The
laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. I know the fix is in the
registry I'm just not sure how exactly.

If you are "just not sure how", then you don't know where the fix is
do you?
I'd suggest downloading the correct software to a separate folder and
running the install from there. Remove everything present now and
unplug the printer from the computer before running the software,
unless advised otherwise by any "read" files in the download package.
And gee, somebody might have had this problem before if they only knew
what printer this is. No, please don't tell us.
Old June 8th 08, 12:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Jun 8, 6:35 am, Al Bundy wrote:
On Jun 7, 2:36 pm, davidg35 wrote:

When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show
under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new
port" I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. The
laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. I know the fix is in the
registry I'm just not sure how exactly.

If you are "just not sure how", then you don't know where the fix is
do you?
I'd suggest downloading the correct software to a separate folder and
running the install from there. Remove everything present now and
unplug the printer from the computer before running the software,
unless advised otherwise by any "read" files in the download package.
And gee, somebody might have had this problem before if they only knew
what printer this is. No, please don't tell us.

Get another cup of coffee, Al!
Old June 9th 08, 07:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
davidg35

On Jun 8, 4:35*am, Al Bundy wrote:
On Jun 7, 2:36 pm, davidg35 wrote:

When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show
under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new
port" *I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. *The
laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. *I know the fix is in the
registry I'm just not sure how exactly.

If you are "just not sure how", then you don't know where the fix is
do you?
I'd suggest downloading the correct software to a separate folder and
running the install from there. Remove everything present now and
unplug the printer from the computer before running the software,
unless advised otherwise by any "read" files in the download package.
And gee, somebody might have had this problem before if they only knew
what printer this is. No, please don't tell us.

The printer installs fine on another PC the problem AI'm having is
creating a USB Printer port, I had a similiar problem when I had to go
into the registry to create standard tcp/ip port on the PC. The
lexmark X3430 all in one software is not creating the USB printer
port, since it appears somehow it was disabled in the registry
previously.

Old June 10th 08, 11:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"davidg35" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 4:35 am, Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

In order of progression:

1. Go to control panel and remove all USB ports through the System
Folder.
Reboot and try installing printer again after the ports are found.

2. Reinstall mb chipset drivers after first going to mb manufacturer
website and seeing if there is a new updated
version of the drivers.
Reboot and try reinstalling printer again.

3. Back up all data
Repair install of Windows
Try installing printer again

4. Wipe drive, install Windows fresh

--
Jan Alter

or

Printer needed Mama Bear Printers 0 December 17th 06 05:52 AM
Web Cam Monitor Solution: Expert Advice Needed! Fitzwilliam Darcy Webcams 15 June 14th 06 05:55 PM
Printer Book Needed JohnO Printers 0 September 13th 05 06:10 PM
Expert advise on RAM problem needed Mattrixx General 6 February 6th 05 09:19 PM
Printer help needed Jerry Turba Homebuilt PC's 11 January 2nd 05 02:48 PM