Upgrade laptop Bios

Old September 22nd 05, 01:46 AM

Default Upgrade laptop Bios

I have a Compal TS30T that has problems with the serial port under
Windows 2000. It is the same laptop as the Dell Inspiron 3500. Can I
use Dell's Bios upgrade in hopes of fixing my problem?

Old September 22nd 05, 02:01 AM

Why not?

Old September 22nd 05, 02:16 AM
Tom Scales

For one, the Dell BIOS will have many FEWER options.
For two, it probably won't work and will kill your laptop
For three, what makes you think a BIOS change will help.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not?

Old September 22nd 05, 03:03 AM

Dell's don't seem to have the same problem

Old September 22nd 05, 03:11 AM
Notan

" wrote:

Dell's don't seem to have the same problem

Real simple...

The Dell BIOS was written, by Dell, specifically for a Dell computer.

The Compal BIOS was written, by Compal, specifically for a Compal computer.

While *you* might think they're the same computer, they're not.

Don't believe me? Give it a try. And, as Tom said, when you're system won't
fire up, please come back here with the details.

We're always up for a good laugh! g

Notan
Old September 22nd 05, 04:31 AM
Christopher Muto

i don't think the dell flash bios utility would even proceed with the flash
without being able to confirm that the present bios is branded as dell. so
regardless of whether or not it would work i don't think that it would even
attempt to install. i have installed xp on inspiron 3500 without any
problems. perhaps you should try that too... pop in a temporary hard disk
and install it... even with just 128mb it works, albeit slowly...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Compal TS30T that has problems with the serial port under
Windows 2000. It is the same laptop as the Dell Inspiron 3500. Can I
use Dell's Bios upgrade in hopes of fixing my problem?

Modify Dell Inspiron Laptop 2 work w C/Dock Docking Station JLA Dell Computers 7 September 21st 05 11:50 PM
BIOS upgrade for Shuttle AK35GTR David D. Homebuilt PC's 6 July 12th 05 02:56 AM
Bad Bios Flash or? Ottar Tverberg Asus Motherboards 17 May 23rd 05 04:05 PM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
Bios update: which file? Katy Asus Motherboards 2 September 23rd 04 04:54 AM