Terabyte PC?

Old July 27th 03, 07:48 AM
jack

Default Terabyte PC?

"Mr. Nethead" wrote in message
: If I decided I wanted to be the first geek on my block to stuff a
terabyte
: of storage into a PC, what would be the best way to do it? I noticed
NewEgg
: has 300GB hard drives, but those only have a 2mb cache. So I think I'd
go
: with 4 250GB hard drives hooked up to a SATA controller card. Of
course,
: cooling a system with that many hard drives would probably be a pain.
:
You're also forgetting the power draw (assuming all HD's are powered at
the same time). With the rest of your system included, it's a good bet
that your current PS simple could not handle the power requirements of
four additional disk drives.

If you really want to do this, you should consider installing the drives
into an external enclosure which contains it's own PS. Good luck with
the noise!

J.

Old July 27th 03, 10:29 AM
jack

"Mr. Nethead" wrote in message
:
: "jack" wrote in message
: ...
: "Mr. Nethead" wrote in message
: ...
: : If I decided I wanted to be the first geek on my block to stuff a
: terabyte
: : of storage into a PC, what would be the best way to do it? I
noticed
: NewEgg
: : has 300GB hard drives, but those only have a 2mb cache. So I think
I'd
: go
: : with 4 250GB hard drives hooked up to a SATA controller card. Of
: course,
: : cooling a system with that many hard drives would probably be a
pain.
: :
: You're also forgetting the power draw (assuming all HD's are powered
at
: the same time). With the rest of your system included, it's a good
bet
: that your current PS simple could not handle the power requirements
of
: four additional disk drives.
:
: If you really want to do this, you should consider installing the
drives
: into an external enclosure which contains it's own PS. Good luck
with
: the noise!
:
: J.
:
: This is really more of a plausibility study. Though, if I did do this
it
: would be a completely new system with a new power supply. (Probably
the best
: Enermax I could find)
:
: I hadn't thought of external enclosures. That's an interesting idea.
As for
: the noise, I grew up in a house with 7 siblings. I think I can handle
it.
:
Ok then! Just for laughs I did a Google search on keywords "SATA" and
"Enclosure" and it came up with over 4000 hits. As usual the majority
of them suck (you can probably think of better keywords), but here's an
interesting one:

http://www.3ware.com/products/ata.asp or

http://www.chassishq.com/hardware/pa...-id-32584.html or

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Ch...MobileRack.htm

Good luck, dude.

Regards,

Jack

--
--------
The end to "Personal Computing" as we know it is just around the corner.

Old July 27th 03, 03:45 PM
Steven Toney

These would also be potentils for such a project

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

"Steven Toney" wrote in message
y.com...
try things like this -- I working on a media server -- music and DVD's

from
this

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

+

ENERMAX EG651P-VE FM(24P). 550W Power supply for AMD K7 & Pentium4. 24-Pin
with 20-Pin adaptors

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1400&DEPA=1

+ SATA controllers for multiple drives like these with Raid or not?

3WARE Escalade 8500-8 Kit Serial ATA RAID Controller Card RETAIL BOX 3ware
Escalade 8500 Serial ATA RAID controllers deliver full-featured hardware
RAID for PC servers and workstations

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

Promise Serial ATA PCI Controller with (4) Serial ATA ports, model Sata150
TX4

Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 PCI Serial ATA Raid Controller Card - RETAIL

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

"jack" wrote in message
"Mr. Nethead" wrote in message
:
: "jack" wrote in message
: ...
: ...

Old July 27th 03, 04:33 PM
El Phantazmo

Well, if you REALLY wanna impress the chicks...

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030425/index.html

Old July 27th 03, 05:08 PM
John Theriault

"Terry Wilson" wrote in message

"Mr. Nethead" wrote in message
If I decided I wanted to be the first geek on my block to stuff a

terabyte
of storage into a PC, what would be the best way to do it? I noticed

NewEgg
has 300GB hard drives, but those only have a 2mb cache. So I think I'd

go
with 4 250GB hard drives hooked up to a SATA controller card. Of

course,
cooling a system with that many hard drives would probably be a pain.

Sounds like a fun project to me. You didn't say what the system would be
used for, which seems like a most important detail. An HTPC maybe?

Something
like this:

http://www.snapstream.com/Community/...htpc_page1.asp

Cooling not a problem:

http://www.aapspower.com/comhardrivco.html

Good luck!

4 SATA drive @ 250 gigs each would be like 1000 ( or more) bucks for the
drive's by it;s self...

When / if you get this comp up, post links ot screen shots, cuz it would be
cool to see

Later

john

Old July 28th 03, 08:34 PM
Olav

"Mr. Nethead" wrote:
If I decided I wanted to be the first geek on my block to stuff a terabyte
of storage into a PC, what would be the best way to do it? I noticed NewEgg
has 300GB hard drives, but those only have a 2mb cache. So I think I'd go
with 4 250GB hard drives hooked up to a SATA controller card. Of course,
cooling a system with that many hard drives would probably be a pain.

I run my PC with a Chaintech CT-9CJS with 2GB PC 3200 memory.
I have 2 250GB Maxtor IDE hanging on a Promise Ultra 133 card.
I have 2 250GB Maxtor SATA on the mainboard.
One Seagate tape drive and a CD burner hanging on the secondary IDE on the
mainboard.
My DVD burner has moved into a USB cabinet. This is mainly to be able to move
it around.

With this configuration I can add two more HDDs to the mainboard.
I can also add 500GB to the other IDE port on the Promise card.

There was some problems with the SATA discs, Maxtor support stinks, they
recommend MaxBlast to partition the discs, but MaxBlast doesn't support HDDs
larger than 137GB. Still they make, market and sell them...
I found a patch that I did to Win2k and finally got to format the drives there.

I run in a maxitower cabinet with 450W power supply.
I upgraded from the 360W that came with the cabinet after a sudden death during
a thunderstorm.

I have six different boot partitions, each optimized for different purposes.

I was unable to find any MBs here (Norway) that supported IDE133, so I ended up
with Chaintech due to the card reader that was included.

I have two problems with this configuration;

1. The alphabet is getting too short.
2. No girls are interested.

Olav