Overdrive?

Old April 13th 04, 02:51 AM
Bill Wood

Default Overdrive?

Exactly what does the overdrive tab do? I mean if it overclocks your card
isn't that dangerous? Could you damage your card? I'm using a 9800XT and not
sure if I want to enable this. If it doesn't damage the card then why not
have it on by default? Thanks for your help.

Old April 13th 04, 04:17 AM
Slug

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:51:11 -0500, "Bill Wood"
wrote:

Exactly what does the overdrive tab do? I mean if it overclocks your card
isn't that dangerous? Could you damage your card? I'm using a 9800XT and not
sure if I want to enable this. If it doesn't damage the card then why not
have it on by default? Thanks for your help.

It can damage the vid card if you are not careful and only overclock
in small increments. With the card you have I wouldn't bother
overclcoking it as it is plenty fast enough already and the gain is
minor.

Old April 13th 04, 08:42 AM
Slug

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:19:59 -0500, "Bill Wood"
wrote:

Thanks.

OK. With that being said I have overclocked a few of my vid cards in
the past and have never damaged one yet. It is possible to damage one
if you are really aggressive with the timings but usually the card
freezes the computer or you get artifacts on screen so you just set it
back to default when it happens and you should be ok. But honestly, I
don't think the hassle is worth the gain when you have a fast card
already and I've always ended up setting mine back to default speed
just for peace of mind.

Old April 13th 04, 02:39 PM
GTX_SlotCar

It uses the thermal sensor to limit the OC, generally giving you about a 7
to 8 mHz OC. You can usually do a lot better by setting it manually. For
example, using the tab you'll probably go from 412 to 419, but manually your
XT will probably run fine at least up to 432 mHz.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old April 13th 04, 06:44 PM
Slug

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:39:59 -0400, "GTX_SlotCar"
wrote:

It uses the thermal sensor to limit the OC, generally giving you about a 7
to 8 mHz OC. You can usually do a lot better by setting it manually. For
example, using the tab you'll probably go from 412 to 419, but manually your
XT will probably run fine at least up to 432 mHz.

Gary

Oops, I thought he was talking about manually overclocking. I see now
he is talking about the feature for the drivers to OC on the XT card.
I have 9800pro so don't have that feature. Using the ATI XT driver
method should be completely safe as it will reset to default if it
detects the temp too high. Right?