AMD 64 and two socket types?

Old July 14th 04, 12:10 AM
Steven K

Default AMD 64 and two socket types?

socket 754 and socket 939? Do I sound stupid when I ask why are there two
sockets for one AMD64 cpu? Any detailed insight?

tia

Steve

Old July 14th 04, 12:20 AM
Barry Walsh

Steven K wrote:
socket 754 and socket 939? Do I sound stupid when I ask why are there two
sockets for one AMD64 cpu? Any detailed insight?

tia

Steve

You forgot socket 940 as well.
Socket 754 is single channel memory.
Socket 939 is dual channel memory.
Socket 940 is registered memory, meant for Opterons and the first
AthlonFXs which have now moved to 939.
Old July 14th 04, 12:47 AM
Steven K

"Barry Walsh" wrote in message

You forgot socket 940 as well.
Socket 754 is single channel memory.
Socket 939 is dual channel memory.
Socket 940 is registered memory, meant for Opterons and the first
AthlonFXs which have now moved to 939.

Thx, Barry, found an interesting link that details the whole AMD 64 socket
mess so far!
The 939 cuts the L1 cache in half, uses unregistered ram, and HT is up to
1000 Mhz on the VIA K8T800 Pro chipset. Yep, this all gives a not so
exciting performance boost but will cost premium money.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...039TX1K0000564

Old July 14th 04, 03:22 AM
Rich, PLS

So...
You buy the FX-53 instead of Athlon 3800+ if you have the socket 939...
Same price, better deal!

Old July 14th 04, 03:46 AM
Steven K

"Rich, PLS" wrote in message

So...
You buy the FX-53 instead of Athlon 3800+ if you have the socket 939...
Same price, better deal!

Well, once I have the cash for this premium upgrade - absolutely!

steve