2500 cpu running at 3200 out of box

Old July 3rd 04, 12:51 PM
Bert Minor

Default 2500 cpu running at 3200 out of box

Hi all,
Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?
Old July 3rd 04, 07:39 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:51:35 -0400, Bert Minor wrote:

Hi all,
Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

12.5x200=2500MHz. That's quite an overclock. A 3200+ is only 11x200 for
2200MHz.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

ALL CPU cores (of the same model) are the same. It doesn't matter if it's
labeled a 2500+ or a 3200+. It's just that some cores perform better than
others due to manufacturing reasons. AMD has chosen 2200MHz as the cutoff
spot for the Barton core even though some may go up to 2500MHz or even
more using the right components. My guess is that at least 90% of all
Barton cores made today will do 2200MHz reliably. Was probably lower than
that during startup.

Old July 3rd 04, 11:13 PM

wrote:

Hi all,
Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?

BoroLad

N.B You on water ?
Old July 3rd 04, 11:40 PM
Michael Brown

wrote:

Hi all,
Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it
at
12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?

BoroLad

N.B You on water ?

Considering his next post says he's kept the mutli at 12.5 and it's
still kicking away at 200fsb
I think that He's on something much better than water ..

I think he has a locked CPU

Me thinks he's just incorrectly set the fsb to 200 instead of 166.
(but that's not a bad thing with what he has)

Agreed.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old July 4th 04, 02:58 AM
tan

I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
following:
2200mhz
200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
FAMILY 6
STEPPING 0
MODEL A

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:40:17 +1200, "Michael Brown"

Old July 4th 04, 04:27 AM
Michael Brown

tan wrote:
I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
following:
2200mhz
200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
FAMILY 6
STEPPING 0
MODEL A

Unfortunately, that's no use in determining if it's locked or not. It just
says you've got a Barton. To see whether it's locked, change the multi in
the BIOS and see if the multi as resported by CPUZ changes, or post the
4-digit datestamp that's etched onto the die (the 4 digits in the line that
looks like AQZFA0410WPAW). If you've bought your CPU in the last 8 months,
there's a high chance that's it's die-locked.

[...]

Old July 4th 04, 12:23 PM
rstlne

"tan" wrote in message
I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
following:
2200mhz
200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
FAMILY 6
STEPPING 0
MODEL A

Why did you change the multiplier to the one that the 2500+ uses
It needs to be different than 11 when you set it.. ie
set it to 11.5 and see if you get 2300 mhz.

You said however that it was 12.5 (I think you said that) at 200
and these chips are really stress'd at that (at least mine wont run at it)

Old July 4th 04, 03:48 PM
tan

OK...I changed the multiplier in the bios and it was accepted. CPUz
now says that my cpu is running at 2260 mhz.